Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• efs crash on keyword???

Here is one for you.

I was writing a strategy based on bar color changes, so I set myStudy="barcolor". It did not get flagged as a keyword so it should be just another unique variable name right? Wrong.

It seemed to run fine in tickreplay except that it trailed the bar colors and MAs with each new bar on a 250v chart of AB Z6.

So I renamed the study "bcolor". Surely that is not a keyword.

Same problem with trailing bar color and MAs.

So I reboot my computer and restart eSignal. No charts will open. I try the default advanced chart from the File menu and can get AB Z6 5min but not a 400T or 250v chart.

Thinking all the charts are contaminated (which has happened in the past) I reinstalled eSignal 8 (without Add/Remove Programs method for fear of losing all custom efs files etc.)

Able to get 5min and 3min AB Z6 but not 1min and no tick or vol.

Rebooted again and finally got 5min MSFT and tick MSFT, then my normal charts of AB Z6 250v running the original efs file.

It is now running tickreplay using "bcolor" study name in the same efs on 2 charts at x8 speed without a problem.

Any thoughts on what happened? Was it a key word issue?

Re: efs crash on keyword???

Hello ratherBgolfing,

Originally posted by ratherBgolfing
    Here is one for you.

I was writing a strategy based on bar color changes, so I set myStudy="barcolor". It did not get flagged as a keyword so it should be just another unique variable name right? Wrong.

It seemed to run fine in tickreplay except that it trailed the bar colors and MAs with each new bar on a 250v chart of AB Z6.

So I renamed the study "bcolor". Surely that is not a keyword.

Same problem with trailing bar color and MAs.

So I reboot my computer and restart eSignal. No charts will open. I try the default advanced chart from the File menu and can get AB Z6 5min but not a 400T or 250v chart.

Thinking all the charts are contaminated (which has happened in the past) I reinstalled eSignal 8 (without Add/Remove Programs method for fear of losing all custom efs files etc.)

Able to get 5min and 3min AB Z6 but not 1min and no tick or vol.

Rebooted again and finally got 5min MSFT and tick MSFT, then my normal charts of AB Z6 250v running the original efs file.

It is now running tickreplay using "bcolor" study name in the same efs on 2 charts at x8 speed without a problem.

Any thoughts on what happened? Was it a key word issue?
    Sounds like you were just having some trouble getting a data connection. The fact that you say it is now running without a problem tells me that it's not an EFS issue. EFS can cause the application to crash if an infinite loop is coded or something along those lines. There may be something else in your code causing a problem, but without seeing your code it is impossible to pin point the source. The problems you have described would definitely not be caused by a string value of "barcolor" or "bcolor" being assigned to a variable. If there were some type of syntax error, the formula would most likely throw a run-time error message to the formula output window and stop executing. However, this would not prevent eSignal from receiving data.

If you continue to have connection problems, please call into Technical Support and have them trouble shoot your connections. If you believe that it is your EFS causing the problem, please post your formula so I can test your code.
    Jason K.
    Project Manager
    eSignal - an Interactive Data company

EFS KnowledgeBase
    JavaScript for EFS Video Series
    EFS Beginner Tutorial Series
    EFS Glossary
    Custom EFS Development Policy

New User Orientation

Comment

Thanks Jason.

I wondered about connection...which is why I tried a new advance chart of MSFT, IBM, etc. Since I could get 3min 5min (although not tick, volbars) I assumed it was not connection but rather local corruption of some kind. Also, I could not get any data for any symbol or interval in any of my charts, even after I removed all studies (my efs). Also I tried to load some old pages which did not work. So I thought my installation of esig was corrupt and re-installed. This did not work right away either.

Anyway, the same code is running fine now....so...until next time....

Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
      X