Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High/Low from Buy/Sell

Hello Y'all,

I have ran into a stumbling block attempting to calculate the most recent high/low from my most recent buy/sell signal. It is similar to a Real Time Swing, except I want to use my last buy/sell signal as my point of determination as opposed to "number of bars". Any suggestions? Thank you in advance

PB

High/Low from Buy/Sell

Hello,

I am having difficulty calculating the most recent high/low from my most recent buy/sell signal. It is similar to a Real Time Swing, except I want to use my last buy/sell signal as my point of determination as opposed to "number of bars". Any suggestions? Thank you in advance

PB

Comment

Hello PB,

Try adding a couple global variables, nSignalHigh and nSignalLow. Within your buy and sell conditions set them equal to high(0) or low(0), respectively. You will then be able to reference the nSignalHigh and nSignalLow variables on subsequent bars as needed.
      Jason K.
      Project Manager
      eSignal - an Interactive Data company

EFS KnowledgeBase
      JavaScript for EFS Video Series
      EFS Beginner Tutorial Series
      EFS Glossary
      Custom EFS Development Policy

New User Orientation

Comment

Thank you Jason for the feedback. I will implement these changes and let you know the results.

Regards,
        PB

Originally posted by JasonK
        Hello PB,

Try adding a couple global variables, nSignalHigh and nSignalLow. Within your buy and sell conditions set them equal to high(0) or low(0), respectively. You will then be able to reference the nSignalHigh and nSignalLow variables on subsequent bars as needed.

Comment

Thank you Jason for the feedback. Should I set nSignalHigh equal to "high" and nSignalLow equal to "low"? Thx again

Regards,
          PB

Hello PB,

Comment

Hello PB,

As I mentioned in my previous reply, set them equal to high(0) and low(0).

nSignalHigh = high(0);

or

nSignalLow = low(0);
            Jason K.
            Project Manager

EFS KnowledgeBase
            EFS Glossary

New User Orientation

Comment

Re: High/Low

Hello Jason,

I have implemented your recommended changes and have one the following question: How do I effectively identify and reference my current position bar mark (whether long/short) so that the (high/low) is determined from that bar marker?

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Peter

Hello PB,

As I mentioned in my previous reply, set them equal to high(0) and low(0).

nSignalHigh = high(0);

or

nSignalLow = low(0);

Comment

Re: Re: High/Low

Hello Peter,

Originally posted by pbeno
                Hello Jason,

I have implemented your recommended changes and have one the following question: How do I effectively identify and reference my current position bar mark (whether long/short) so that the (high/low) is determined from that bar marker?

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Peter
                To track your long/short state you could create another global variable, call myPosition. At the same time that you record the high(0) or low(0) set myPosition to "long" or "short," respectively. You could use strings or numbers, such as 1 for long, 0 for no position and -1 for short.

PHP Code:
                var myPosition 0;  // global declaration

function main() {

if (
                myPosition != &&  /* your long conditions */ == true) {

nSignalHigh high(0);

myPosition 1;

// or 
                        // myPosition = "long";

}

You don't need to keep track of the bar index where a trade condition occurs, if that's what you meant by bar marker. Just track your position state with the global variable and add that global variable to your conditional statements to prevent long signals from executing if you're position is already long. Likewise for short conditions.
                Jason K.
                Project Manager

EFS KnowledgeBase
                EFS Glossary

New User Orientation

Comment

Hello Jason,

Thank you for the reply. Unfortunately, declaring "my position" is not my trouble area. I am challenged by the fact my Buy/Sell signals are determined by the percent change of "today's close" with respect to most recent high/low since my most recent position. For example, if "today's close" is >=1.0% of the most recent high then a buy is triggered. The problem is determining the most recent high/low with respect to my position. Here is a portion of my logic for your review. I use "high(-5)" b/c I have not determined how to accurately calculate the most recent high/low since "my position".

nsignalhigh =high(-5);
                  nsignallow = low(-5)
                  nsignalclose=close(0);
                  nmaxpercent =.01;

FullBuy2=((nsignalclose-nsignalhigh)/nsignalhigh) >= maxpercent;
                  FullSell2=((nsignalclose-nsignallow)/nsignallow) <= -nmaxpercent;

Thank you again,
                  Peter

Comment

Re: Re: Re: High/Low

Hello Jason,

I forgot to include this in my last email. The following is the logic used in MetaStock to perform what I am attempting to do in ESignal. In MetaStock they simply have trough/peak funciton to find high/low since "myposition". Hopefully this helps.

Signal Formula
                    target:=1.000; pt:=Trough(1,Security(".GDAXI",c),target); time:=TroughBars(1,Security(".GDAXI",c),target); signal:=Cross(((Security(".GDAXI",c)-pt)/pt)*100,target); signal AND (Ref(BarsSince(signal),-1)>=time)

Hello Peter,

To track your long/short state you could create another global variable, call myPosition. At the same time that you record the high(0) or low(0) set myPosition to "long" or "short," respectively. You could use strings or numbers, such as 1 for long, 0 for no position and -1 for short.

PHP Code:
                    var myPosition 0;  // global declaration

function main() {

if (
                    myPosition != &&  /* your long conditions */ == true) {

nSignalHigh high(0);

myPosition 1;

// or 
                            // myPosition = "long";

}

You don't need to keep track of the bar index where a trade condition occurs, if that's what you meant by bar marker. Just track your position state with the global variable and add that global variable to your conditional statements to prevent long signals from executing if you're position is already long. Likewise for short conditions.

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Re: High/Low

Hello Peter,

Originally posted by pbeno
                      Hello Jason,

I forgot to include this in my last email. The following is the logic used in MetaStock to perform what I am attempting to do in ESignal. In MetaStock they simply have trough/peak funciton to find high/low since "myposition". Hopefully this helps.

Signal Formula
                      target:=1.000; pt:=Trough(1,Security(".GDAXI",c),target); time:=TroughBars(1,Security(".GDAXI",c),target); signal:=Cross(((Security(".GDAXI",c)-pt)/pt)*100,target); signal AND (Ref(BarsSince(signal),-1)>=time)
                      The formula code you've posted does not directly translate into EFS code. Some of the functions used are unique to MetaStock. You may want to try contacting some of our EFS Consultants to see if they can assist you with this formula conversion project.
                      Jason K.
                      Project Manager

EFS KnowledgeBase
                      EFS Glossary

New User Orientation

Comment

Working...
                      X