Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has the Renko Drift Issue been resolved in 8.1?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has the Renko Drift Issue been resolved in 8.1?

I've seen several posts referring to the 8.1 beta release and wanted to know if the "drifting" problems have been addressed.
    Glen Demarco
    [email protected]

Hello demarcog,

This has not yet been fixed and is not likely to make into the 8.1 release. Unfortunately, it is not a simple fix. If and when this bug gets fixed we'll post some info for all here in the forums.
    Jason K.
    Project Manager
    eSignal - an Interactive Data company

EFS KnowledgeBase
    JavaScript for EFS Video Series
    EFS Beginner Tutorial Series
    EFS Glossary
    Custom EFS Development Policy

New User Orientation

Comment

Until this is fixed is there a way to automatically reload a specific price study (over a user defined period) so I don't have to manually do it to correct the drift?

Comment

Kevin,

Here is a link with a workaround. There is a copy of this in my Fileshare as well under the Utilities Folder.

Please be aware that the reloadEFS() function does not reset global variables to their initial values you have set outside main(). To see how the reloadEFS() function works, there is a demo file in the same Fileshare folder named 'test reloadEFS2.efs'. This demonstrates which sections of code are run when the function is used as compared to what sections are run on initial load.

Finally, be very careful using the reloadEFS() function. You can easily get yourself in an endless do-loop. Check out precautions in the KnowledgeBase on use of the function for additional information.

I hope this is helpful.

Comment

Thanks! However I don't have any programming skills. Do I simply cut and paste the code to a study (for example realtimeswings.efs) or is it more complicated than that?
          Last edited by kevinmclark; 01-03-2007, 04:57 PM.

Comment

Kevin,

To modify a simple efs, the only skills you need are (1) to be able to open an efs and be able to subsequently save the edited efs, and (2) be able to follow the directions contained in the efs.

On a more complex efs, it may be more difficult depending on how many global variables need to be reset (when reloaded using reloadEFS() function) to make the efs work. If I remember the real time swings efs correctly, I think it may require several of the global variables be reset to make it work correctly with my workaround.

Please check out the instructions and let me know if you have any problems integrating the code. I do not recommend you use this workaround on a complex efs based on your comment regarding your skill level.

Comment

Does the attached modified EFS look good to you? It loads up without any errors, but not sure if it will work tomorrow during RTHs. Thanks!!!
              Attached Files

Comment

Kevin,

I am not sure if it will work either, this is fairly complex efs. As far as I can tell (without testing myself), it may work, it all depends on how the global variables affect program flow without their reinitiallization. My suggestion on this one is if it does not work, either stick to reloading manually, or start experimenting with resetting the global variables to their initialization values in the main() function within a section in that tests for BARSTATE_ALLBARS.

Comment

Unfortunately the below renko_realtimeswings.efs does not fix the problem. At this point I would be willing to settle for a reset button I could manually click to reload the realtimeswings EFS. Does this EFS exist?

Comment

Hi Kevin,

Please check out Tutorial 1: EFS Basics and Tools and search for reload. You will find the instructions in section 1.3 of the Tutorial to manually reload an efs.

Coding a seperate efs to reload would have the same issues with global variable reinitialization and would be as difficult as revising your post. Following the methods described in the Tutorial referenced above to reload the efs will re-initialize all the required global variables.

Comment

Working...
                    X