Weird Monthly MA indicator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weird Monthly MA indicator

We made a couple of MA indicators to use on daily charts; a weekly one and a monthly one. The weekly one works fine but the monthly one (which uses almost identical code) crashes eSignal. We are using it to look at equities cahrts, futures charts, forex charts- basically any chart. Our charts are saved in day format for consistency and occasionally you can add the month indicator to the chart when you are looking at a month period but when you go back to the day period it dies again. It's probably something small but scouring the forums I couldn't find anything similar. Have attached indicators for your perusal. Let me know if you need anything else.
    Attached Files

bdave
    The scripts you posted appear to be working fine at my end (see enclosed screenshot and animation).
    What version of eSignal are you running? How is the Time Template set up? Is there a particular sequence that causes the issue you are seeing?
    Also have you tried using the customMA.efs that is in the EFS2 Custom folder of Formulas which is enabled for use with external intervals (and/or symbols)?
    Alex

Comment

Alex, thank you for your prompt reply.

Version of eSignal is eSignal 8.0 (Build 779) which I believe is the latest version.

It still crashes. First it says 'The Parameter is Incorrect' then the crash reporting window comes up. It does this with both the EFS we put together and the customMA.efs. I've attempted it with 'fresh charts' as well as some saved ones.

Both methods work fine on the week interval. It is very weird as well as being very frustrating.

Comment

Also time template is at 'Auto'.

Comment

bdave
          I just noticed that you are located in Australia and recalled that there actually is an issue with scripts based on the monthly interval if the monthly chart for that symbol has not been previously opened and if the computer is set to a GMT + x timezone (GMT and GMT - x are not affected which is why I am not seeing it)
          As far as I know eSignal's developers are aware of this problem however there is no fix available at this time.
          The only workaround I have found is to first open a monthly chart for each symbol you may need and then call the monthly interval through the efs. At that point you should not get a crash even if you switch the chart to lower intervals. Also, you may find it preferable to use the customMA.efs and other studies in the EFS2 Custom folder as those allow you to set the desired interval through Edit Studies
          Alex

Comment

Alexis- thanks again.

I knew it wasn't us... either that or I was going nuts.

Comment

Working...
            X