DMI Higher high formula

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DMI Higher high formula

I posted this question once before. For the last week or so, I have been searching high and low through these threads as well as through some third party sites for a way to be alerted if +ve DMI makes a higher high and/or-ve DMI makes a lower low on an intraday chart. I've tried a few things myself, but I am just not very good at EFS yet.

A little guidance would be greatly appreciated!!

Ian

ie. here is a chart of CHIR from today (5/19)
    +ve DMI (blue) makes a higher high at 11:05
    Attached Files

Comment

This efs file should turn the bar red or green depending on the direction of dmi +

If you need it tweeked, let me know.
      Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the reply David,

I probably didn't properly explain exactly what I'm looking for. I want to be alerted when +ve DMI makes a higher high than its most previous peak. As the chart I supplied of CHIR indicates, this happens at 11:05. It also happens at 10:54 and again at 11:10 just so you get the idea.

Ian

Comment

This will get tricky because you need to define what a peak looks like, find one, then remember the value of the peak.

Can you tell what a peak looks like? (I know it's easy when you look at the chart, but programming needs to have a bit more info)

Comment

David, I think I can probably describe a peak. It is essentially a point that was preceeded by bars of lower or equal value, but eventually preceeded by at least one bar of lower value. It is then subsequently followed by bars of equal or lower value, but eventually followed by at least one bar of lower value. I dont know how to put this into code, however.

Ian

Comment

Great, that's a start...

See if this puts a red dot on each peak, this is step one.
              Attached Files

Comment

The next step is to save the adx value of the recent hi and compare it to the ADX of the current bar.

This efs will draw a green dot if the current ADX exceeds the ADX reading of the most recent high.

(Same file name, but different code)
                Attached Files

Comment

I dont think the formula is catching the highs. If you look at this snapshot, I drew lines where dot was plotted but no high made, or where a high was made, but no dot. Does the ADXDMStudy.PDI in your formula only refer to +ve DMI?
                  Attached Files

Comment

Its plotting the high points perfectly in the last efs you sent. I'm not sure I understand why you want to relate the nearest high with ADX value since there are times when ADX value will decrease even though DMI will make a higher high?

Comment

As you posted in the chart below, the ADX indicator plots 3 lines, the ADx, the positive DI and negative DI.

I thought only the positive DI was the one to watch for peaks, shown in red, and higher levels than the most recent peak, shown in green.

Did I miss something?

Comment

David, your formula seems to work perfectly. I understand what you did in the code, so I can apply it to -ve DMI.
                        Maybe my language is not clear with regards to my previous question. Like you said, I know the ADX/DMI indicator to have 3 lines: +ve DMI line, -DMI line, & the ADX line. You said that the formula equates the most recent +ve DMI high with ADX (I'm assuming you mean the value of the ADX line?) value for that bar & then draws the dot if ADX gives a higher value in the current bar. My question involves situations where +ve DMI makes a higher high in the current bar but the ADX line reads a lower value than at the most recent high. In this chart higher +ve DMI highs are made under both conditions. For my own knowledge of how the formula works, I'd like to understand how it can work under both conditions.
                        Also, I was wondering how I could set an alert so that I am only notified for the 1st bar where +ve DMI makes a higher high (as opposed to getting alerts at every subsequent bar.)
                        Thanks for all your help with this.

Ian
                        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                        X