Noobie needs help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noobie needs help

Hello. I have just upgraded to esignal from the basic A-get charts for forex (formerly Taho charts). I have read the through the manual and did not come to understand how you place a custom study into esignal. So I'm looking for a link/pdf which can help me develope and apply EFS studies. Also is there a tutorial which can help me with the programing language?
    Granted it took me three hours to figure out how to just change the colors of the candles so forgive me if this is a common question.

Thank you in advance.

cruiser13
    If you are unfamiliar with programming in EFS (Esignal Formula Script) and are interested in learning then I would suggest you start by reviewing the JavaScript for EFS video series and the Core JavaScript Reference Guide. Those will provide you with a thorough introduction to programming in JavaScript which is at the foundation of EFS. Then go through the EFS KnowledgeBase and study the Help Guides and Tutorials which will provide you with the specifics of EFS.
    As you are learning I would also suggest you search the forums as many studies have already been programmed in efs and are freely available.
    If at any point and time you have a specific programming question or problem with your code post it in this forum and someone will be available to help.
    Alex

Comment

Well I can't believe it. I actually loaded a formula and got it to work. The VPCI from the latest TASC.

Thank you Alexis for the links I will go through them. I have also been using the search for a few custom indicators but have not been able to find them. If possible do you know if these may have been made?

A multi time frame RSI with dual MA's or just the RSI also with dual MA's

OBV with an MA' (smoothed).
      I found the OBV with a simple and exp. MA's but would like to use a smoothed instead.

Thanks again

Comment

cruiser13
        With regards to the OBV with an MA (smoothed) if the average you are referring to is calculated using Wilder's smoothing then you could use the MAofOBV.efs which is available here and set the MA Type parameter to Exponential and the MA Length parameter to the resulting value of
        (your smoothing period multiplied by 2) minus 1
        So if for example the smoothing period is 10 then you would set the MA Length for the exponential average to 19 ie (10*2)-1.
        The plot of the 19 periods exponential average will be the same as that of the 10 periods Wilder's smoothed average (except on the very first few bars because of how the averages are primed).
        As to the RSI with dual MAs you may want to try programming your own using the Formula Wizard which makes it relatively easy to write studies on studies such as this one. For information on the Formula Wizard and instructions on how to use it (complete with hands-on examples) you may want to review this article in the EFS KnowledgeBase
        Alex

Comment

Alexis, thank you very much for the instruction. It's got me started in the right direction. As always your knowlege about esignal is tremendous. Kudos to you!!!

Comment

cruiser13
            You are most welcome and thank you for the kudos
            Alex

Comment

Alexis, I have been going through the resources which you recomended at the beginning of this thread. The java EFS guides are a big help but I'm still new to programming and a little lost.
              So I'm wondering if reading a Java for dummies type book would help me get acquainted with programming? Also, is the EFS language the same as java?

Thank you again in advance.

Comment

cruiser13
                JavaScript which is the basis of EFS is not the same language as Java.
                With regards to books on JavaScript I am told that one of the best is JavaScript The Definitive Guide by David Flanagan which is published by O'Reilly
                Alex

Comment

Working...
                X