DDE to Excel from AdvChart studies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DDE to Excel from AdvChart studies

Am a newbee here on eSignal. The eSignal marketing material seemed to imply i could DDE all chart data to Excel. But it seems its only possible to pull in the data for select fields noted as 'qualifiers' in the sample spreadsheet.

Is it possible to do a DDE Link from Advanced chart studies to Excel?

For example pull off MACD value (or from a custom study) from a chart?

If so any examples would be very appreciated.

My understanding from troughing the writeups on DDE thus far is that it is limited to the qualifiers (mainly price quote related) that are listed in the sample file.

I have to ask WHAT you are trying to accomplish??

Using a DDE to move things into Excel may not be the best solution for you.. If you have a specific need - there may be a better way to address this issue.
    Brad Matheny
    eSignal Solution Provider since 2000

Comment

Hello canopas,

Yes this is possible. EFS has a DDEOutput Object that you can use to create dde links. The data can be any custom series or built-in series within your EFS. Please see our documentation on the MACD study here. Please start with the reference material at the link above. To find more code examples, please try a search here in the forums on the "DDE" keyword.

If you run into any specific coding issues, please post your formula code and we'll help you work through it.
      Jason K.
      Project Manager
      eSignal - an Interactive Data company

EFS KnowledgeBase
      JavaScript for EFS Video Series
      EFS Beginner Tutorial Series
      EFS Glossary
      Custom EFS Development Policy

New User Orientation

Comment

DDE to Excel from AdvChart studies

Jason:
        I have been struggling with this for over a day including a 1day crash course in JavaScript. I have been through all threads and sample code on the site with DDE mentions but nothing works as yet other than the sample spreadsheet i downloaded on installation that accesses the built in price qualifiers.

Basically i have put in the movavg code you sent in your example and saved as an EFS study called emaTest:

My specific questions:
        1) In your example with movavg: eSignal|EFS!movavgIBM, this syntax wasnt recognized in Excel. I changed to WINROS|EFS!movavgIBM (to be consistent with sample). Still no luck
        2) I have 3 windows on my eSignal page, both AdvChart windows have the movavg study loaded. (should the EFS study file require a special directory or name??)

The error i am getting in excel is #REF

Help appreciated. In other SW (e.g. CQG platform) this is a trivial task: basically you dont need to go and learn EFS. Simply add DDELink in spreadsheet with parms and it accesses any of 100s of functions/studies. Its very elaborate process here.

Comment

Hello canopas,

The sample code is working properly on my end. The only thing I can think of at the moment is that you did not have the formula running on a chart with IBM as the symbol.

If you did, then the formula you should have in Excel should be as follows:

=eSignal|EFS!movavgIBM

If the issue is still not resolved, please post your formula code. There may be a problem with your specific formula code.
          Jason K.
          Project Manager

EFS KnowledgeBase
          EFS Glossary

New User Orientation

Comment

DDE to Excel from AdvChar studies

Thanks Jason.

Q: So if i am tracking 50 symbols in my spreadsheet w/DDELink i need 50 charts open????

Comment

Hello canopas,

That is correct. It is the EFS code that creates the dde link to pass the data to excel. For each symbol you want to get indicator data into excel you must have an EFS formula active on a chart with each desired symbol.
              Jason K.
              Project Manager

EFS KnowledgeBase
              EFS Glossary

New User Orientation

Comment

any comments on this.. i am interested also. at this point CQG platform seems more interesting.

do we need to have 50 charts open to access 50 symbols?

also how do we input futures in here: replacing IBM with ES #F doesnt work

=eSignal|EFS!movavgIBM

thanks.
                Last edited by budfoxx; 11-14-2007, 12:59 AM.

Comment

Hello budfoxx,

Special characters in the symbol need to be removed from your DDE link. Please see the Notes section for the DDEOutput Object at the bottom of the article.

Within a single EFS you can have up to 7 dde links that are based on data for different symbols.
                  Jason K.
                  Project Manager

EFS KnowledgeBase
                  EFS Glossary

New User Orientation

Comment

Working...
                  X