Using readln() to read a specific line of a file

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using readln() to read a specific line of a file

Hi. I’d like to playback an emini tick file in a chart that contains an efs that will read the concomitant value of a second symbol from a second tick file and then plot that value. I think one approach would be to convert this second tick file into either a text file or XML and use readln() to read it. But the problem is that the second tick file is too large to be read into an array. Is there an argument in the readln() function that can specify that it read only a specific line? For example, when the line from the emini tick file:
    T,070917,074152,1489.5,5,
    is played back, can the efs’s readln() be instructed to retrieve only the 07:41:52 data line from the second tick file?

If this is possible, there is also the problem that often the number of data points (trades) within a one second interval in both symbols is not always equal. That is there may be two or three for the second symbol and seven or eight for the emini. Any suggestions on how to match these up in such a playback scheme would also be appreciated. Thanks.

Mike

not as you are expecting.

I've done something like this for other clients..

What you should do it store the Date/Time to the file that you are reading (as you create it), then when you read the file, try to match the date/time info.

In other words, there is no feature that can read a specific line from a text file. You have to read thru the file to match some field to what you are attempting to identify - in this case DATE/TIME.
    Brad Matheny
    eSignal Solution Provider since 2000

Comment

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, Doji3333. I'll give it a try. If I have problems getting it to work how much do you charge for a canned program that will perform this function? Thanks again.

Mike

Comment

Working...
      X