No announcement yet.

Viewing studies as stand-alone charts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Viewing studies as stand-alone charts?

I’ve been working on some breadth oscillator studies. They all use sym() to retrieve data and custom spreads. They do not actually require the data from which ever chart I apply them to.

However, as far as I can tell, I still need to apply them to a chart just to view them -- so I just use a random chart, which is really just dead weight.

So I was wondering; is there was a way to view studies all by themselves, not just in separate panes, but as a stand-alone charts?

Axiom
    To my knowledge it is not possible. An efs only executes based on the data in the price window.
    Alex

Originally posted by Axiom
    I’ve been working on some breadth oscillator studies. They all use sym() to retrieve data and custom spreads. They do not actually require the data from which ever chart I apply them to.

However, as far as I can tell, I still need to apply them to a chart just to view them -- so I just use a random chart, which is really just dead weight.

So I was wondering; is there was a way to view studies all by themselves, not just in separate panes, but as a stand-alone charts?

Comment

Axiom are u asking to view the study as a number value (text) or as a line/bar/ histogram etc (plot) in a single pane on a chart.

If u want to just see the current number value u can use drawtextpixel and have that number value display on any chart anywhere, independant of which chart it is as u r using sym() function

If u want to plot studies only in a chart, just color the price bars same as the background so they disapear and all that wiil be seen are studies plotting in their own pane or a single pane.

I think esignal does not have the capabality to display studies or calculations in a quote board or window, its only in charts. That would be a great addition to esignal to have the capability of displaying study values in matrix in a quote board or .quo file.

AK

Comment

Akiri, yeah... coloring the price the same color as the background so that you can't see it, and then over-laying the study over the blank chart... thats basically the effect I was looking for, and thats what I'm doing now. I tried using an invalid symbol as well, but that leaves the study in a constant “loading data…” state.

I was hoping for a more "official" way to do it though. The white-on-white chart just seems like a waste of bandwidth and cpu resources. I'm curious to know just how many other eSignal users are doing this at any given time, and how much of a load could be taken off of eSignal servers if this problem was remedied.

This should definitely be added to eSignal as a new feature, as a former software developer myself, I don’t see it being very difficult at all. I can’t deduce any reason why the afxframeorview70 class must display data from a miscellaneous symbol in order to simply display a data-independent study in a chart, assuming that the time template and interval are in place.

Comment

Axiom
          As I explained in my previous reply an efs will only execute based on the data in the price window.
          Given that in your case it would not matter what symbol you have in the price window you can just plot any one of the symbols that you are already calling using the sym() function and that will actually make no difference to the eSignal servers since that data is being retrieved anyhow.
          With regards to the price window you could hide it from view using the solution provided in this thread.
          Alex

Originally posted by Axiom
          Akiri, yeah... coloring the price the same color as the background so that you can't see it, and then over-laying the study over the blank chart... thats basically the effect I was looking for, and thats what I'm doing now. I tried using an invalid symbol as well, but that leaves the study in a constant “loading data…” state.

I was hoping for a more "official" way to do it though. The white-on-white chart just seems like a waste of bandwidth and cpu resources. I'm curious to know just how many other eSignal users are doing this at any given time, and how much of a load could be taken off of eSignal servers if this problem was remedied.

This should definitely be added to eSignal as a new feature, as a former software developer myself, I don’t see it being very difficult at all. I can’t deduce any reason why the afxframeorview70 class must display data from a miscellaneous symbol in order to simply display a data-independent study in a chart, assuming that the time template and interval are in place.

Comment

Working...
          X