Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Using INV() on a 55T chart to display a 1 Min chart ema but for regular trading hours

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using INV() on a 55T chart to display a 1 Min chart ema but for regular trading hours

Hi,

Is there a way to define regular trading hours for this line of code:

myVar = ema( 25, inv(1) );

The resulting moving average is displayed on on a 55T chart which is a 24 hour (time template) chart.

However I would like it to only display the moving average that corresponds to the regular trading hours (9:30 - 16:15 EST) for the 1 minute chart instead of the 24 hour for the 1 minute chart.

Is this possible? If so, how?

Thanks in advance.

Wayne

Re: Using INV() on a 55T chart to display a 1 Min chart ema but for regular trading hours

Wayne
    In the Time Template that you are using in that chart create a User Defined entry for the 1 minute interval and set its Start/End times to 09:30/16:15.
    For information on Time Templates and instructions on how to use them see this article in the eSignal KnowledgeBase
    Alex

Originally posted by waynecd
    Hi,

Is there a way to define regular trading hours for this line of code:

myVar = ema( 25, inv(1) );

The resulting moving average is displayed on on a 55T chart which is a 24 hour (time template) chart.

However I would like it to only display the moving average that corresponds to the regular trading hours (9:30 - 16:15 EST) for the 1 minute chart instead of the 24 hour for the 1 minute chart.

Is this possible? If so, how?

Thanks in advance.

Wayne

Comment

So, efs studies will calculate based on the RTH time template on a 55T (24 hr) chart

Hi Alex,

Thanks for the reply.

The inv(1) ema will be displayed on the 55T chart which displays 24 hour data for the ES mini futures (ES #F symbol). So if I understand it correctly:

By selecting a 9:30 - 16:15 time template for the 55T chart, efs studies running on the 55T chart will calculate based on the 9:30-16:15 time template and not the chart timeframe (again- a 55T chart displays data for 24 hours even if I have selected the 9:30-16:15 time template for it).

Thanks again.

Wayne
      Last edited by waynecd; 01-23-2008, 09:41 AM.

Comment

Data Lag Issue

Alex,

Will putting an ema of an x minute chart on a tick chart cause a data lag on the tick chart due to the burden of the calculations?

For example will using this code in a 65T chart cause a data lag?

var tmp2 = (15, inv(5);

Thanks again, I really appreciate the time and help youv'e given.
        Last edited by waynecd; 01-23-2008, 04:38 PM.

Comment

Re: So, efs studies will calculate based on the RTH time template on a 55T (24 hr) chart

Wayne

By selecting a 9:30 - 16:15 time template for the 55T chart, efs studies running on the 55T chart will calculate based on the 9:30-16:15 time template and not the chart timeframe (again- a 55T chart displays data for 24 hours even if I have selected the 9:30-16:15 time template for it).
          At this time it is not possible to specify the Start/End times of a tick-based chart (ie intervals T, V, S, P and R). These charts always plot all the data transmitted during the day.
          However if you set the minute based intervals to specific Start/End times then the studies that reference those intervals will be based only on the data within the specified Start/End times.
          So, if for example you are plotting a 55T chart and you base your ema on the 1 minute interval (for which you have defined a Start/End time of 9:30/16:15) this will be calculated only on the data contained within those Start/End times. During the other times plotted on the chart you will see it "flat-line" at the last calculated value at 16:15 and then start calculating again at 9:30
          Alex

Hi Alex,

Thanks for the reply.

The inv(1) ema will be displayed on the 55T chart which displays 24 hour data for the ES mini futures (ES #F symbol). So if I understand it correctly:

Thanks again.

Wayne

Comment

Re: Data Lag Issue

Wayne

var tmp2 = (15, inv(5);
            I am assuming that you meant to write var tmp = ema(15,inv(5));
            That should be no different than loading a chart for that interval and running the ema() study in it.
            Alex

Alex,

Will putting an ema of an x minute chart on a tick chart cause a data lag on the tick chart due to the burden of the calculations?

var tmp2 = (15, inv(5);

Thanks again, I really appreciate the time and help youv'e given.

Comment

Working...
            X