Indicator background color?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indicator background color?

I would like to be able to change the entire background color in an indicator, present as well as past values. Essentially a cross between setChartBG & setBarBgColor. The former colors the entire chart, when I only want the indicator, & the later only colors the last bar, while I would like the whole indicator to be colored. How to do this?

Thank you,
    Greg

try this for starters..

right click on an Adv Chart.
    click on Formulas
    click on Helpers
    click on MADCColor.efs

this is a good example to show you how to color the background of an indicator.
    Brad Matheny
    eSignal Solution Provider since 2000

Comment

Try using a loop in conjunction with SetBar(). The following two lines reset the bar background colors of the previous 100 bars when either condition is met.

if(Vshort > Vlong) {for (var i=0; i<100; i++){setBar(Bar.BgColor,-i,Color.green) }}

if(Vshort < Vlong) {for (var i=0; i<100; i++){setBar(Bar.BgColor,-i,Color.red) }}

Mike

Comment

setDefaultBarBgColor setBarBgColor

Sometimes the simplest things get by us. Since I started using the bar background color changing ditty I suggested below I’ve been using a separate one for each chart, adjusting the 100 figure to estimated numbers of bars each chart will have at the end of the trading session since a five minute chart will have only one fifth the number of bars of a one minute chart. It just occurred to me that setting up a bar counter and sticking that in the loop is easier.

1. Define a variable as a counter:

var counter = 0;

2. Within function main() { include the following line to increment the counter:

if (getBarState() == BARSTATE_NEWBAR) {
        counter = counter +1}

3. Then substitute the counter for the number in the loop as follows:

if(Vshort > Vlong ) {for (i=0; i<counter; i++){setBar(Bar.BgColor,-i,Color.green) }}

if(Vshort < Vlong ) {for (i=0; i<counter; i++){setBar(Bar.BgColor,-i,Color.red) }}

In real time this will change the bar background color of an entire chart, including tick charts irregardless of the interval, when either condition is met.

Mike

Comment

Re: setDefaultBarBgColor setBarBgColor

Mike
          As an alternative instead of a counter you could use the function getNumBars() or getCurrentBarCount() which will return the number of bars in a chart eg
          var NumberOfBars = getNumBars();
          if(Vshort > Vlong ) {for (var i=0; i<NumberOfBars; i++){setBar(Bar.BgColor,-i,Color.green) }}

Alex

Originally posted by mikejhelms
          Sometimes the simplest things get by us. Since I started using the bar background color changing ditty I suggested below I’ve been using a separate one for each chart, adjusting the 100 figure to estimated numbers of bars each chart will have at the end of the trading session since a five minute chart will have only one fifth the number of bars of a one minute chart. It just occurred to me that setting up a bar counter and sticking that in the loop is easier.

1. Define a variable as a counter:

var counter = 0;

2. Within function main() { include the following line to increment the counter:

if (getBarState() == BARSTATE_NEWBAR) {
          counter = counter +1}

3. Then substitute the counter for the number in the loop as follows:

if(Vshort > Vlong ) {for (i=0; i<counter; i++){setBar(Bar.BgColor,-i,Color.green) }}

if(Vshort < Vlong ) {for (i=0; i<counter; i++){setBar(Bar.BgColor,-i,Color.red) }}

In real time this will change the bar background color of an entire chart, including tick charts irregardless of the interval, when either condition is met.

Mike

Comment

Yeah, I missed that one too. Good suggestion. The following is pretty basic but when I started out nothing was obvious. So for the newbies even newer than me I forgot to mention that such a study only makes sense in realtime so immediately after function main() insert:

if (getCurrentBarIndex() < 0) return;

Mike
            Last edited by mikejhelms; 02-28-2008, 02:24 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X