Integer Conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Integer Conversion

So far this forum has been unbelievably helpful, so here goes another question:

How does one define an integer variable, or convert a floating point number to the nearest integer value (i.e. rounded not truncated)?

I'm trying to divide two numbers and use the result as a counter variable, but there is floating point error in the result (which should be a whole number). I could only find the parseInt() function, but that's only for string conversion, right? I know this is real basic stuff, but my last programming language was FORTRAN (it's okay, go ahead and laugh).

Thanks.
    pa-kay

Math.round(x) wil round x to the nearest integer, according to my java script book.

Comment

Hello pa-kay,

Here's a couple of links to some JavaScript 1.5 resources you'll find useful. These are also mentioned in the EFS Help Center & Library at the bottom link.

Core JavaScript Guide 1.5
      Core JavaScript Reference 1.5
      Jason K.
      Project Manager
      eSignal - an Interactive Data company

EFS KnowledgeBase
      JavaScript for EFS Video Series
      EFS Beginner Tutorial Series
      EFS Glossary
      Custom EFS Development Policy

New User Orientation

Comment

Thank you. I'll make better use of the reference links in the future. Sure enough, there is an example in the EFS Help Center & Library showing how to round a number. Long ago it was necessary to define a variable as an integer, floating point, or string type. Of course, that seems pretty stodgy now, kinda like how my brain is working lately.

Fantastic! Thank you again.
        pa-kay

Comment

Working...
        X