Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• getCurrentBarIndex() & sym() or inv()

Hi,

Is there a way to have getCurrentBarIndex() work with a different symbol and interval than the one on the chart?

getCurrentBarIndex() has no properties so it only works with the charts current symbol and interval.

Thanks

Wayne

no - not that I'm aware of. Sorry.
    Brad Matheny
    eSignal Solution Provider since 2000

Comment

well, maybe??

Are you trying to identify the status of another symbol/interval from within the efs you are using on a different symbol/interval?

In other words, combining analysis from one efs into another?
      Brad Matheny

Comment

Hi,

Yes, that was my original thought. Haven't advanced much in that endeavor. Trying to test the accuracy of signals.

Wayne
        Last edited by waynecd; 10-01-2008, 10:36 AM.

Comment

in my past attempts at combining two or more symbols for analysis work with efs, I've always created a comma delimited file for each FEEDER file/symbol that is read by the main analysis routine. This has worked well for me in the past, it just depeneds on how you develop your FEEDER files.

Then, in the READER file, I use a variable parser to parse out the values I need from each file. So, if I pass 25 values from a FEEDER file into the READER file, I'll create a function to return only the values I need by passing a unique ID for each returned value.

When it gets to running this in REALTIME and wanting to make everything as functional as possible, I simply use the GLOBAL VALUE features of EFS to pass the same comma delimited STRINGs to my READER file. This way, the same routines are used to create and maintain the comma delimited data from the FEEDER files, but the RT information is passed to the READER file thru GLOBALVALUES and parsed the same way as the historical data files.

This might be considered the "hard way" to accomplish this, but then again it is also providing quite a bit of flexability in developing very complex features into my projects. I can combine any number of indicators, advanced analysis or anything that can be developed in EFS from multiple symbols/intervals into a single analysis module to run a trading system.

If you need more help or examples, PM me and I'll try to share what is needed.
          Brad Matheny

Comment

Is there a way to have getCurrentBarIndex() work with a different symbol and interval than the one on the chart?
            Surely you just return the value from getCurrentBarIndex() via function called by efsInternal(mySeries)? [It will always be 0 once you get to the current bar?]

But beware the probs I just had with NEWBAR detection [edit: Or download the 10.2 just-released version that Alexis says fixes this]. As you are using the info from one call and it is in itself a unique per-bar value you could just return this at every tick, but if more complex end-of-bar calcs are involved you need to save them and return the same values at every tick, together with the bar number so that the caller can detect the NEWBAR occurrence in the aux series. Note that for now you will get the event 1 tick after the NEWBAR in the aux series, but I don't know whether it is a chart tick or an aux tick though - I was using the same symbol so didn't find out).

For collating multiple symbol info, I've found that an IB data source an be accessed in, say, VB6 via a simple commercial shim (XLQ - a COM interface) and written to a file for immediate consumption by eSignal. I have a routine that processes 10s of symbols and feeds the consolidated result to eSiganl. Not brilliantly fast but I get sub 2 second screen updates (so only just behind eSignal sometimes!). The shim is not ideal as it returns data in an asynchronous way (you can't build exact candles and also you cant get every tick, but you can get 1 min highs and lows as well as "current" price and that is enough for me. And at least I get a debuggable development environment!
            Last edited by Dave180; 10-02-2008, 02:48 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X