No announcement yet.

highest() vs hhv(), and offsetSeries()

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• highest() vs hhv(), and offsetSeries()

Both of highest() and hhv() are documented as:
    * as being "new in EFS2",
    * parameters ( numBars, series )
    * example purpose //find the highest-high over the last 50 bars

So what is the difference?

But nether is shown taking an nCandle argument. So if I want the one bar previous value (ie nCandle = -1 normally) of a highest() series do I use offsetSeries()?

I've not used offsetSeries before, is it the proper way to do it, say, of the highest over 5 bars of an ema(10)? ?

n = offsetSeries(highest(5,ema(10)),1);

or as highest() presumably returns a series, should I use

n = highest(5,ema(10)).getValue(-1);

If the latter is correct, what is the point of offsetSeries()?

Thanks

Re: highest() vs hhv(), and offsetSeries()

Dave180
    highest() and hhv() are wrappers for the same function. As far as I know the reason for the different names was to make them easily identifiable to those coming from different programming environments (in Metastock for example the equivalent function is HHV while in TradeStation it is Highest)
    As Jason suggested to you elsewhere use the Donchian Channel functions in lieu of highest(), lowest() ,etc as they perform the same functions in addition to taking the BarIndex argument
    Alex

Originally posted by Dave180
    Both of highest() and hhv() are documented as:
    * as being "new in EFS2",
    * parameters ( numBars, series )
    * example purpose //find the highest-high over the last 50 bars

So what is the difference?

But nether is shown taking an nCandle argument. So if I want the one bar previous value (ie nCandle = -1 normally) of a highest() series do I use offsetSeries()?

I've not used offsetSeries before, is it the proper way to do it, say, of the highest over 5 bars of an ema(10)? ?

n = offsetSeries(highest(5,ema(10)),1);

or as highest() presumably returns a series, should I use

n = highest(5,ema(10)).getValue(-1);

If the latter is correct, what is the point of offsetSeries()?

Thanks

Comment

Thanks Alexis, grey-cell failure I guess, I remembered there had been a issue before involving highest() (an efs premature exit I think) but not that it also touched on hhv and candles.

Oddly I can't seem to locate any posts/threads with the word "highest" in them, except this thread - does search have a time limit perhaps, or what have I now got wrong? I know it dated from around June 07, but since you can only "scroll" by two pages of posts at a time, I gave up trying to find it!

What I find disappointing is that eSignal employees seem to take little to no interest in clarifying the documentation so that these types of queries are gradually eliminated.

Dave

Comment

Working...
      X