efs engine is slow to load EFS when loading daily charts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• efs engine is slow to load EFS when loading daily charts

If the time template is set to load explicitly specified number of daily bars, if it is the first time to open the daily chart of that symbol, although the 300 bars would appear on chart almost immediately, the efs would mysteriously in "loading data..." status for quite a few seconds (e.g. 12 seconds).

The following test script can be applied on a $SPX,D chart and set the time template to 300 days for daily chart, then change the symbol to "ZN #F,D" or "CL #F", and observe the significant time gap between candlestick bars drawing on chart and the printout in output window.

function preMain()
    {
    setStudyTitle("TestDailyChart");
    setPriceStudy(true);
    }

function main()
    {
    var barState = getBarState();
    if ( barState == BARSTATE_NEWBAR ) {
    debugPrintln(getCurrentBarIndex());
    }
    }
    Attached Files
    Last edited by clearpicks; 01-05-2009, 08:49 PM.

Re: efs engine is slow to load EFS when loading daily charts

clearpicks
    What version of eSignal are you using?
    Alex

Originally posted by clearpicks
    If the time template is set to load explicitly specified number of daily bars, if it is the first time to open the daily chart of that symbol, although the 300 bars would appear on chart almost immediately, the efs would mysteriously in "loading data..." status for quite a few seconds (e.g. 12 seconds).

The following test script can be applied on a $SPX,D chart and set the time template to 300 days for daily chart, then change the symbol to "ZN #F,D" or "CL #F", and observe the significant time gap between candlestick bars drawing on chart and the printout in output window.

function preMain()
    {
    setStudyTitle("TestDailyChart");
    setPriceStudy(true);
    }

function main()
    {
    var barState = getBarState();
    if ( barState == BARSTATE_NEWBAR ) {
    debugPrintln(getCurrentBarIndex());
    }
    }

Comment

esignal 10.2.1391.1120

Comment

clearpicks
        So far I have not been able to replicate the issue. Using the EFS Performance Monitor the average times I have recorded in loading the script on each symbol change have been around 300 to 400ms ie 3 to 4/10ths of a second (see enclosed screenshots captured after loading each symbol for the first time and after resetting the Performance Monitor and Formula Output window after each load)
        Alex

esignal 10.2.1391.1120

Comment

Alex,

It has nothing to do with EFS performance. It is the time delay between the time when the symbol is changed and the time when EFS engine really starts to execute EFS scripts. So in the performance monitor, the execution time is similar to the screenshot you posted.

It seems the delay only appears when I set the symbol to an instrument which I don't subscribe realtime data.

- Clearpicks

Comment

clearpicks
            In that case I don't think it has anything to do with the efs engine.
            If you look at the Server Status box in the Cursor Window while the script is returning Loading Data... you should see Receiving... (see enclosed screenshot). As far as I know the efs engine does not begin executing the script until the Server Status returns OK (ie when all bars are loaded).
            You may want to post this in the eSignal forum as it is related to how charts are being loaded and not to the efs engine which is in fact taking the same amount of time to load the script whether using real time or delayed data
            Alex

Alex,

It has nothing to do with EFS performance. It is the time delay between the time when the symbol is changed and the time when EFS engine really starts to execute EFS scripts. So in the performance monitor, the execution time is similar to the screenshot you posted.

It seems the delay only appears when I set the symbol to an instrument which I don't subscribe realtime data.

- Clearpicks

Comment

Working...
            X