Multiple Logical Operators

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multiple Logical Operators

I have been reviewing some extensive backtesting and realised that I may have had an error in my code.

To simplify things I have one part that states (A || B && C) where A, B and C are different conditions that need to be true for a trade to be placed.

I want the test to return true if A is true irrespective of B or C.

If A is false I want the test to return true only if both B and C are true.

I believe I should have coded it with extra brackets as (A || (B && C)).

However I do not want to make the change and rerun the tests (which has taken me days to do) unless I have to.

So based on how I currently have it coded what will the test return if A is false and either of B or C is false?

Re: Multiple Logical Operators

richthomas

So based on how I currently have it coded what will the test return if A is false and either of B or C is false?
    That will return false
    Alex

Originally posted by richthomas
    I have been reviewing some extensive backtesting and realised that I may have had an error in my code.

To simplify things I have one part that states (A || B && C) where A, B and C are different conditions that need to be true for a trade to be placed.

I believe I should have coded it with extra brackets as (A || (B && C)).

However I do not want to make the change and rerun the tests (which has taken me days to do) unless I have to.

Comment

your last statement is correct. You need

if (A || (B && C)) {

Remember algebra in school??

You need to segment complex math/logic to control order.

Sounds like you need to re-run your tests.

Let me know if you need more help.
      Brad Matheny
      eSignal Solution Provider since 2000

Comment

richthomas
        FWIW your code as is will do what you are expecting (see the screenshots attached to each condition)
        Alex

Comment

I believe there is one case that isn't tested in the code Alex did, and would result in incorrect test results:

If A is true and B & C is false, my belief is this will return false. I also believe you would want this to return true in this case.

I haven't tested, but based on the way the logic should be implicitly executed, this should be true.

In general, I would always force any logical operation to be evaluated in the order you want (explicate execution). The same is true of math operations.

Garth
          Last edited by gspiker; 05-29-2009, 02:59 PM.
          Garth

Comment

Garth
            That case is returning true
            Alex

Originally posted by gspiker
            I believe there is one case that isn't tested in the code Alex did, and would result in incorrect test results:

If A is true and B & C is false, my belief is this will return false. I also believe you would want this to return true in this case.

I haven't tested, but based on the way the logic should be implicitly executed, this should be true.

In general, I would always force any logical operation to be evaluated in the order you want (explicate execution). The same is true of math operations.

Garth

Comment

I stand corrected (thanks for testing this Alex).

In verifying operator precedence, it does say that && is evaluated before ||. I thought they would have equal precedence and therefore be resolved left to right.

One reason I always do things explicitly is so I don't have to remember this stuff, and in other languages it also makes code portability more reliable.

Garth
              Garth

Comment

Thanks for all the responses.
                I'm glad I don't have to rerun all my tests!
                Richard

Comment

Working...
                X