Formatting Time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Formatting Time

I'm trying to format a time stamp but I'm having some trouble. Using the code below each time I want vDTime works fine but it seems really inefficient to repeat it every time. Unfortunately, if I separate it out (i.e., put it at the top of my script instead of within each statement requiring it), I get the time but it isn't formatted. Any suggestions? I don't mind the work of repeating this but I don't want to muck things up either. Thanks.

// Setup Time Stamp
    if(getHour() < 10);
    vHour = "0" + getHour();
    if(getHour() >= 10);
    vHour = getHour();
    if(getMinute() < 10);
    vMinute = "0" + getMinute();
    if(getMinute() >= 10);
    vMinute = getMinute();

vDTime = vHour + ":" + vMinute;

Time Stamp

Let me try....

var vTime = new Date();
    var vHour;
    var vMinute;

// Setup Time Stamp
    if(vTime.getHour() < 10) {
    vHour = "0" + vTime.getHour();
    } else {
    vHour = vTime.getHour();
    }

if(vTime.getMinute() < 10) {
    vMinute = "0" + vTime.getMinute();
    } else {
    vMinute = vTime.getMinute();
    }

This should work...

Brad
    Brad Matheny
    eSignal Solution Provider since 2000

Comment

Thanks. Using vTime.getHour instead of just getHour (and the same for minutes) caused the whole study to fail (which I didn't expect since this is just for a time stamp) but switching to an if...else approach did the trick.

// Setup Time Stamp
      if(getHour() < 10) {
      vHour = "0" + getHour();
      } else {
      vHour = getHour();
      }
      if(getMinute() < 10) {
      vMinute = "0" + getMinute();
      } else {
      vMinute = getMinute();
      }

Comment

My guess is you didn't define vTime if the study failed, but your way is better anyway, as it uses the rawtime interface vs. creating a date object. Creating a date object is rather a resource hog in efs.
        Garth

Comment

"My guess is you didn't define vTime if the study failed, but your way is better anyway, as it uses the rawtime interface vs. creating a date object. Creating a date object is rather a resource hog in efs."

Actually, I defined vTime as:

var vTime = getValue("Time");

I used vTime in two ways. First, to define when the system can trade:

// Trading Time
          if ( ((vTime.getHours() > vStartHour) && (vTime.getHours() < vEndHour)) ||
          ((vTime.getHours() == vStartHour) && (vTime.getMinutes() >= vStartMin)) ||
          ((vTime.getHours() == vEndHour) && (vTime.getMinutes() <= vEndMin)) ) {

And second, to identify the day's opening price:

// Identify the Open
          if(vTime != null) {
          var vFirstIndex =getFirstBarIndexOfDay(vTime);
          if(vFirstIndex != null) {
          vTodaysOpen = getValueAbsolute("open", vFirstIndex);
          }
          }

Are you suggesting that I stop using vTime? As far as using it to define when the system can trade, that seems easy enough but what about when I use it to get the day's opening price?

Thanks.

Comment

If you are using FirstBarIndexOfDay() or a few other functions that use the return of getValue("rawtime"), then you are stuck using that method to deal with time issues. Which means you will be having to create a date object and the penalties associated with that.

Last I heard eSignal had plans to support rawtime with these, but I don't think they have been implemented yet. They did recently implemet the getHour(), etc which uses rawtime...so progress is being made.
            Garth

Comment

Working...
            X