Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are llv and hhv, new in 10.5

Showing my ignorance here.

10.5 adds the llv and hhv value from bars over a range. What are these?

Guessing maybe the volume of the lowest and highest respectively of the bars in the length of the range being examined.

Re: What are llv and hhv, new in 10.5

jgr
    For the description and syntax of the llv() and hhv() functions see this and this article in the EFS KnowledgeBase.
    FWIW these functions are not new to 10.5 as they were introduced in 8.0 and have only been updated in 10.5
    Also you may want to bookmark this link to the EFS KnowledgeBase where you can find all the functions listed
    Alex

Originally posted by jgr
    Showing my ignorance here.

10.5 adds the llv and hhv value from bars over a range. What are these?

Guessing maybe the volume of the lowest and highest respectively of the bars in the length of the range being examined.

Comment

Alex,

I looked all that up before I made the post. What that does not tell me is what do those symbols stand for.

hl/2 for instance stands for high - low divided by 2.

I have never heard of llv or hhv. So the question is, what do they mean?

Comment

jgr
        That is just a naming convention [BTW used also in other applications such as Metastock for example] which stands for Lowest Value or Highest Value.
        FWIW hl/2 is high + low divided by 2 and not high - low divided by 2
        Alex

Originally posted by jgr
        Alex,

I looked all that up before I made the post. What that does not tell me is what do those symbols stand for.

hl/2 for instance stands for high - low divided by 2.

I have never heard of llv or hhv. So the question is, what do they mean?

Comment

Seam to have a hard time communicating here.

Then what is the difference between "highest()" defined as highest value found in a series within a specified number of bars and this "hhv()" which is defined as hhv vlaue found in a series within a specified number of bars.

If hhv is the highest high value how does that differ from highest value when taken over the same number of bars?

Comment

jgr
            There is no difference. Again highest is another convention used also by other applications so eSignal simply made it easy for everyone to use the terms they are most comfortable with
            Alex

Originally posted by jgr
            Seam to have a hard time communicating here.

Then what is the difference between "highest()" defined as highest value found in a series within a specified number of bars and this "hhv()" which is defined as hhv vlaue found in a series within a specified number of bars.

If hhv is the highest high value how does that differ from highest value when taken over the same number of bars?

Comment

Dear eSignal, if you ever read this forum nowadays that is,

Please take the hint and sort out the docs. as previously much requested, and this is an example of a minor rather than major deficit, rather than have us waste our and Alexis (but not yours I note) time.

From
              A Disillusioned User who rarely bothers to come here much nowadays as he knows that nothing discussed gets much attention, let alone action.
              Last edited by Dave180; 06-29-2009, 12:33 PM.

Comment

Dave180,

We've updated the two EFS articles on the llv and hhv functions to define the abbreviations.

We certainly continue to watch, monitor and respond on the forums on a regular basis but these forums were mostly developed for users to help other users.

We may miss a post here or there so we're also available for support via email, LiveRep or phone support.

Thanks.

Comment

Hi Scott,
                  Glad to hear about the update, just a pity that the same conversation over 6 months ago here did not warrant the same attention, and note it wasn't even the first mention. This is a classic example of how something could have been fixed earlier and thus avoided future repeats, wasted time etc.

Please note that there are so many similar, and worse, "oddities" in the documentation that it would be impossible to list them (hardly "we may mss a post here or there", and as Alexis replies to the vast majority, on the face of it eSignal have no direct interest or involvement in those).

I did once ask Alexis if he could exert any pressure to get you to improve the docs, apparently not.

It would be nice if eSignal could devote real resource to continually updating the docs to reflect the vagueness that gets discussed here, rather than on a, shall we say, "once in a blue moon" basis. Afterall we provide you with a free resource, you don't even appreciate it, it is depressing, well for me at least.

And given that although the product has seen certain improvements (which I tend not to use and also avoid the updates for as long as possible due to the never-ending fixes for them) I often wonder what does go on. The narrow range of improvements we see (absence of improved line drawing being the one that comes so immediately to mind, yes, I know it is not just efs) makes it seem that eSignal don't even keep an eye on what other programs offer either.

Comment

Working...
                  X