can efs code be loaded into quote window

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can efs code be loaded into quote window

can efs code be loaded into symbols other then a using a chart. It would make more sense to load the code into quote window then charting, since charting takes up so much resources

Re: can efs code be loaded into quote window

Hi sjsr,

I did notice your other post regarding trying to have 500 charts open on a single page here. As you indicated, having that many charts can be resource intensive if you have custom efs's in each of them.

As far as I know, applying an efs to the quote window is not yet possible. You may want to contact eSignal Product support to see if they have a package that can meet your needs. Alternately, Chris Kryza or another eSignal partner may have something to address your needs.

Steve

Originally posted by sjsr
    can efs code be loaded into symbols other then a using a chart. It would make more sense to load the code into quote window then charting, since charting takes up so much resources

Comment

sjsr,

I like your suggestion. Adding "EFS Indicator" columns to the quote window is a great idea. Right click on the column headers and select "Add EFS...". One column would be added for each value the EFS returns (for example, a 3 element array returned by the EFS's main() would result in 3 columns). The EFS could return numeric or text values.

I believe this would be relatively easy for eSignal to implement. Hooking up the code for efsExternal() or efsInternal(), which I believe already ignores all charting functions, to the quote window is basically what it would take to implement it. Would be a huge "bang for development buck" increase in eSignal functionality.

--------

Until the above is implemented by eSignal, I believe the best you could do is request the eSignal maximum of 7 symbols inside a single EFS indicator. Then, bring up multiple copies of this indicator (with a different set of symbols, of course) on a single chart.

I wrote some test EFS code to demonstrate this to myself. It's at Click Here. It doesn't do any charting, just prints out the prices to the debugging window. The 7 symbols requested are hardcoded, since it's only "demo" code. You'll need to change the PROCESSING_TYPE line at the top of the code:
      PHP Code:
      const PROCESSING_TYPE PROCTYPE_ONCE_ONLY
      to something besides PROCTYPE_ONCE_ONLY, say:
      PHP Code:
      const PROCESSING_TYPE PROCTYPE_ONCE_PER_REALTIME_TRADE
      to see price changes.

Of course, the above technique is rather kludgy. Note that the EFS is only called when a trade occurs on the charted symbol or there is a new bar, not when a trade occurs on any of the 7 extra symbols.

Personally, I would consider eSignal's Desktop API, which might be able to handle that many symbols. I haven't used it, but IIRC it's reasonably priced.
      Last edited by shortandlong; 01-01-2010, 11:15 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X