Performance Monitor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Performance Monitor

I am trying to find out how to optimize efs scripts, but couldn't seem to find anything in the documentation. I have a series of scripts that, over about two hours, have 284,465 calls and run for an average of 0.03448ms. Some scripts have a few calls (14) but are calc-intensive and run a long time (14.64ms average). Others have a lot of calls (56,250) but are quick (0.01372ms).

Then, I have Global Stat (addShape) making 6 calls and Global Stat (addTest) making 101,413 calls. Neither has any time and I assume these are drawing statements.

I use setComputeOnClose() where possible, and a number of other steps I've read about here. Generally speaking, optimizing code is just a matter of getting the numbers in Performance Monitor as low as possible? Also, what counts as a "call?" I see a big difference in the number of calls by script for my scripts that run on each tick. Thanks.

Here's some help.

Anything under 1~3 ms should be fine to run on your PC
    Anything over 8~10ms really needs to be addressed in terms of optimization.

Anything UNDER 1 is GREAT.

The global variables should not be a problem if you are using them correctly.

If you want my help optimizing your slow code, you need to post examples or contact me. I've got lots of experience with this.

I have a project for a client running over 50 efs scripts that all use global variables and complete auto-trading that is running on an i7 system without any problems. I've even developed a "scheduling system" for entry orders that we're testing. I polls the data from the other efs scripts and waits for the "very last second" before firing the orders.

Pretty cool - eh?

You basically want to address the SLOW efs scripts and improve those speeds.
    Brad Matheny
    eSignal Solution Provider since 2000

Comment

Brad,

Thanks very much. These are useful comp's to know. Of the 18 scripts that I have running, only 1 uses 14ms (but doesn't run very often at least). Another 4 are in the 2-3ms range and the rest are well under 1ms. It looks like I need to spend some quality time with one of these scripts.

I do have one last question which came up after reading about your polling system (great idea). This suggests that a bunch of scripts running individually works just fine. I was thinking that I really needed to combine everything into one big efs.

When everything here is working efficiently, I may need to call you about a trading system as I don't really have any experience writing the broker call functions. Thanks, again.

Bob

Comment

Working...
      X