Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pice is history. High time for BID and ASK!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pice is history. High time for BID and ASK!

Hi,

I'm just have to vent a little about the lack of proper bid() and ask() functions. I know the info is there--it's plotted right on the tick charts and is actually physically in the data file, but there is no method available for us to access this in efs.

You know, I find this to be quite incredible. Price is history. It's done. The things that mean more to me as a trader are the current bid and ask. The getMostRecentBid() and getMostRecentAsk() functions just don't cut it.

Perhaps someone could post a function that reads the bid and ask from the data file on a tick chart? If you got it, post it please. I'll work on one myself but if you got it post it and save us all some time and headache :-)

Just had to say it! Otherwise, I love the product.

Dennis

See if those:

BID ASK

BID ASK 2

BID ASK VOLUME

may fit your needs.

PS download 'em quickly for I'm using a public space since mine is over; so I have to cancel them ASAP
    Fabrizio L. Jorio Fili

Comment

Fab,

Oh, I am familiar with those studies. They utilize the getMostRecentBid and getMostRecentAsk methods.

Only problem is that those methods do not return historical bid/ask info and once you shut down your chart the info goes bye bye. Also, say I wanted to (and I do) do a study on bid ask info (say an MA of considerable length) I would have to wait quite a while before being able to get enough recent bids/asks.

You see the problem.

Any way, thanks for the suggestions though.

I am sure that there are many of us who are anxiously awaiting the release of a basic bid() ask() function. I would have thought that it would have been one of the first things identified as being necessary.

Oh well,

DennisA

Comment

am sure that there are many of us who are anxiously awaiting the release of a basic bid() ask() function.
        I'm not sure that is true. To me and almost all long term successful traders I have taked to, bid/ask is a very short term indication of pressure. If one or the other wins out for the period in question, it is reflected by the close price - and therefore it has left a foot print, and a more signifigant one than if there was heavy ask in the first part of the period and heavy bid in the second.

Granted I only have a few dozen traders I talk to regularly, so my view may be skewed. But I would be interested to know how many traders really care about historical bid/ask...and why.

Garth
        Garth

Comment

OK, I thought of one reason for having historical bid and ask saved and that is for backtesting. If if you have a short term indicator you would, of course, want to test it back over a long period of time.

But I still can't see bid/ask making a difference for any medium to long term indicator...

G
          Garth

Comment

Dagustine

I did not actually properly understood your post.

I hope for you that the function will be somehow available.

I - very personal position- do not track or make any historical analisys on the book . And I share Gart's same point of view.

But maybe I am wrong.

Certainly your point is worth of development ....( i.e a matrix on volume /prices / timeframe where found a particular pattern....)
            Fabrizio L. Jorio Fili

Comment

Well Fab and Gart,

I appreciate your viewpoints. I for one am a short term/day trader and the bid/ask is extremely important for me. Of course I would concurr that for any medium, swing or long term investment strategy bid/ask is not that important.

I'm going to find a workaround though. Looking at methods to pull the info from the data file.

Cheers

Dennis

Comment

Dagustine

May I suggest you to address your request to Esignal or some of the external developers like Chirs Cryza or Brad methenty, TS Support ; the same Garth Doverspike is a real PRO in this noble art.

If you breakdown your project and is of common interest much likely will be developed at no cost by Esig. & Co.
                Otherwise you have the commercial avenue. But I believe that the cost will be absolutely interesting.
                Fabrizio L. Jorio Fili

Comment

I'm going to find a workaround though. Looking at methods to pull the info from the data file.
                  You can always use the eSignal API's getMostRecentBid and getMostRecentAsk, then store this data to a file. The problem with this approach is it will only work if you have your EFS running on a chart all the time (during active hours) - and it will only collect for a limited number of symbols per EFS instance.

When you talk about a data file, are you talking about a tick playback file?

G
                  Garth

Comment

Working...
                  X