How current are ticks in EFS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How current are ticks in EFS?

I've got some code that plays a sound (and also logs a message to a file) based on processing ticks that eSignal presents to my EFS code. I've noticed that the times associated with the ticks seem to be off by anywhere from 1 second to as many as 13 seconds.

For example, eSignal presents my code with a tick, and then my code logs the time to a file and then plays a 1-second sound. I copy down the time that eSignal is displaying when the sound starts. That time is almost always 2 seconds, and some times 10+ seconds, later than the time written to the file.

I realize there can be delays writing to a file, but this seems extreme. So I'm wondering if the time associated with the tick accounts for it. That is, eSignal presents me with a tick, and the eSignal time associated with the tick (from seconds(0)) is, say, 10:00:32 seconds. Now, if the actual clock time is 10:00:37, that could be the time difference I'm seeing.

Does anybody have any experience with this? Does anybody have a feel for how current or fresh tick data is in real-time mode? Any suggestions?

Thanks.

The Ticks should be real-time we don't alter or massage the data prior to sending.

You may want to check the Data Manager to make sure that you're computer clock is Sychronized with Data Manager.

In the Data Manager (Click Data-->Time) and make sure there's a check mark in the box for Synchronize Computer Clock.

AveryH
    eSignal Support

Comment

Avery,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, my pc is synchronized as you suggested.

Also, I wasn't suggesting that eSignal changes the data at all. I'm wondering what the delay is from the time a tick comes in and the time my EFS code sees it.

Or, am I getting the 'seconds' for a tick incorrectly? I get the time for, say, symbol SPX using functions such as minute(sym('$SPX')), but there doesn't seem to be anything to get seconds, such as second(sym('$SPX')). So I create a seconds series (using second(inv('1s'))) and then just get the current one from there.

Is there a better (correct) way to get the 'seconds' for the time of a tick?

Thanks again.

Comment

Sorry for the delay, the EFS code should be getting the data at the same time the Charts does. How quickly it writes to file I don't know.

Let me do some research and see if there is a better way for you to get the seconds.

Avery

Comment

Avery,

Thanks much. Can you confirm that the way I'm acquiring 'seconds' makes sense? Note that I'm not getting seconds the same way as I'm getting minutes and hours (because I don't think EFS handles 'seconds' the same way as it handles minutes and hours).

Comment

Working...
          X