Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Multiple pages open - do they all get updated?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multiple pages open - do they all get updated?

Hi,

I am using multiple pages when monitoring a few stocks to see how they perform relative to their sector and other benchmark indices. It looks as if when I open them all, my internet connection starts getting really busy and some of the tick charts (and the main one of SPY) are more likely to start lagging.

Questions:

1-If I have a page open in the background, and one page which is active, does the tick data get sent live to all of the stocks on the background page or does it only get sent there when I switch it to the active page?

2-Will the answer to question 1 change if I have ALL my indicators set up with "setComputeOnClose" or will the data get sent constantly regardless and the only change will be the computation of the indicators?

3- In essence, I am interested in if pages in the background keep getting streaming tick data or not, how they update once I activate the page, and how the indicators get redrawn (only when switching to the page or always in the background) ?

4- I have an indicator that compares the stock price action to the SPY symbol. If I have multiple charts with this indicator open, does the SPY data get downloaded once for all of them (this would make sense) or once for each one?

This would help me out a great deal so I know what's slow and what isn't, and also how to design my indicators more efficiently.

All answers will be highly appreciated, thanks!
    Last edited by braincell84; 08-08-2011, 09:12 AM.

Re: A few questions about multiple pages and data streaming.

braincell84

1-If I have a page open in the background, and one page which is active, does the tick data get sent live to all of the stocks on the background page or does it only get sent there when I switch it to the active page?
    It depends. Charts in a background page [and as a consequence any studies that may be running therein] are updated continuously. You can easily verify this by creating a simple script that returns the bar time or a counter to the Formula Output Window and then run that script on a chart that is included in a background Page. Symbols in the Watch Lists are instead hibernated unless you have set alerts for them in which case they remain active.

2-Will the answer to question 1 change if I have ALL my indicators set up with "setComputeOnClose" or will the data get sent constantly regardless and the only change will be the computation of the indicators?
    The data is received continuously and the indicators set to compute on close will be updated once per bar

3- In essence, I am interested in if pages in the background keep getting streaming tick data or not, how they update once I activate the page, and how the indicators get redrawn (only when switching to the page or always in the background) ?
    See my answer for point 1

4- I have an indicator that compares the stock price action to the SPY symbol. If I have multiple charts with this indicator open, does the SPY data get downloaded once for all of them (this would make sense) or once for each one?
    As far as I know it is downloaded once for all.
    Alex

Originally posted by braincell84
    Hi,

I am using multiple pages when monitoring a few stocks to see how they perform relative to their sector and other benchmark indices. It looks as if when I open them all, my internet connection starts getting really busy and some of the tick charts (and the main one of SPY) are more likely to start lagging.

Questions:

This would help me out a great deal so I know what's slow and what isn't, and also how to design my indicators more efficiently.

All answers will be highly appreciated, thanks!

Comment

Thank you for your answer, I appreciate it.

Interesting point about the watch lists, that was probably going to be my next question but hey, you beat me to it.

Cheers

Comment

braincell84
        You are welcome
        Alex

Originally posted by braincell84
        Thank you for your answer, I appreciate it.

Interesting point about the watch lists, that was probably going to be my next question but hey, you beat me to it.

Cheers

Comment

Working...
        X