EFS & 24-hour Globex trading

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EFS & 24-hour Globex trading

Is it possible to have eSignal v10.6 run an EFS program continuously from 3pm Sunday to 2pm Friday without any shutdowns, restarts or reloads? This manner of seamless analysis can be accomplished in Tick Replay Mode for single symbols where there appear to be no special issues presented by the change of days. However, two behaviors I've noticed seem problematic for similar real-time, real-world analysis. First, using Windows Task Manager, I see that the WinSig.exe program grows in size as the trading day progresses. On my computer a newly started eSignal process will report a memory allocation of about 58,000K; but by end of day that size might be 300,000K; and if the size ever reaches 1,500,000K, my machine logs an "out of memory" error message. I do not understand why the program grows so and whether there is any way to rein in its size without a restart. Second, each of the three integrated-trading brokers I have used in conjunction with eSignal does daily off-hour server maintenance that can disrupt the connection with eSignal. Do eSignal's servers also perform any maintenance that requires users to be disconnected or temporarily logged off and, if so, is reconnection automatic and, if so, is the disconnection/reconnection procedure fatal to any EFS program that might be running? These two issues are the only ones I know of (assuming no power outages or Internet failures) that interfere with the goal of continuous EFS analysis. To repeat, in question form: Is eSignal's potential size in memory unbounded or can it be controlled? Is it possible for a running EFS program to span multiple days without interruption or reloading caused by maintenance?

Do you have a lot of tick or volume or range charts up for like 5+ symbols. I could see where that could cause a lot of memory growth like you're experiencing.

How much memory do you have?

8 gig is only $50 right now.

Since their software is coded in native C++, they've got memory leak detection libraries included for sure so the answer to your question is most likely..."yeah, that's the way it works when you don't have sophisticated caching or generational garbage collection built-in"

Comment

Working...
    X