eval

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• eval

is it feasible to use eval to create a return in main based on a user parameter?

e.g. this study allows the user to set the number of zone lines and then creates a return value based on this.

Eval.efs

return eval(ret) returns -100 for some reason?
    Paul Williams
    Strategy & Applications
    www.futurenets.co.uk

Yeah, setting up all of those defaults in your main() is a no-no. They belong in the preMain(). Use the askForInput() function to bring up the Edit Studies panel in your preMain() for the dynamic info you need from the user.

Comment

ok thanks SteveH have removed all deaults from main in this version (although they appeared to work ok)

Eval2.efs

but don't appear to be able to use eval to dynamically create a return in main?
      Paul Williams
      Strategy & Applications
      www.futurenets.co.uk

Comment

pretty sure now that eval is not the solution. but does anyone know if this can be done and how?
        Paul Williams
        Strategy & Applications
        www.futurenets.co.uk

Comment

Paul,

Right, the documentation just states that the default-type functions should be in the preMain(), not that they must. I do know there are some EFS library functions which will appear as formula errors if they're in the main() (but I can't remember ones off the top of my head).

I'll have a go at trying to get your script to work.

Comment

Paul,

I rewrote your script without using eval() in its most basic form. Feel free to embellish it.
            Attached Files

Comment

excellent Steve. thank you
              Paul Williams
              Strategy & Applications
              www.futurenets.co.uk

Comment

Working...
              X