Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overlay Study on Another Chart

Hi,

I am working on a study which will display levels on the daily chart. I'd like to automatically "copy" those levels from the daily chart to all other charts (2m, 3m, 5m, 15m). How can I go about automatically copying those levels?

I am trying to implement the exact same functionality that is a standard feature in Sierra Chart (http://www.sierrachart.com/index.php...ence.html#s118). There will be a study on one timeframe, and I would like to overlay that study on other charts. How can this be accomplished?

I am still working out the details for how the levels will be drawn on the daily chart, so I am open to any method that works. I'm currently planning to use drawLineAbsolute() to draw the levels.

Thanks,
    Matt
    Last edited by MattR; 08-06-2013, 10:47 AM.

Matt
    In eSignal’s formula language (EFS) you can base any study on an “external” symbol and/or interval [ie different from those plotted in the chart]
    You can find complete working examples that use the built-in study functions in the Formulas->Built-in Studies Formulas->Custom Studies folder in your Interactive Data folder. See also the EFS KnowleddgeBase for the description and syntax of these functions
    You can also create custom studies and/or functions and base those on external symbols and/or intervals. Search the forum and you will find literally hundreds of examples on how to do this as this is a topic that has been covered at length through the years [since this functionality was introduced in 2005]
    Alex

Originally posted by MattR View Post
    Hi,

I am working on a study which will display levels on the daily chart. I'd like to automatically "copy" those levels from the daily chart to all other charts (2m, 3m, 5m, 15m). How can I go about automatically copying those levels?

I am trying to implement the exact same functionality that is a standard feature in Sierra Chart (http://www.sierrachart.com/index.php...ence.html#s118). There will be a study on one timeframe, and I would like to overlay that study on other charts. How can this be accomplished?

I am still working out the details for how the levels will be drawn on the daily chart, so I am open to any method that works. I'm currently planning to use drawLineAbsolute() to draw the levels.

Thanks,
    Matt

Comment

Originally posted by Alexis C. Montenegro View Post
      Matt
      In eSignal’s formula language (EFS) you can base any study on an “external” symbol and/or interval [ie different from those plotted in the chart]
      Yes, I understand this.

You can find complete working examples that use the built-in study functions in the Formulas->Built-in Studies Formulas->Custom Studies folder in your Interactive Data folder. See also the EFS KnowleddgeBase for the description and syntax of these functions
      I don't understand how to make these overlay like I described. Whenever I add an additional timeframe to a chart (such as adding 1-Day timeframe as subchart to 2-minute Chart), it shows it in a different window below the main chart. Thus, when I added a study to that subchart, it is shown in a different window below the chart. I am trying to get it to OVERLAY the main chart.

You can also create custom studies and/or functions and base those on external symbols and/or intervals.
      I had assumed this to be the case.

Search the forum and you will find literally hundreds of examples on how to do this as this is a topic that has been covered at length through the years [since this functionality was introduced in 2005]
      Alex
      I did search the forum, and I cannot find any examples of this question being answered. Thus why I posted a question about it. Will you please point me to at least one example of this topic being covered?

Thanks,
      Matt

Comment

Matt
        You do not need to use overlays to do this. As I indicated in my previous reply efs can base a study on an external symbol and/or interval. It accomplishes this without you having to chart the referenced symbol and/or interval as the required data is loaded in the background by the efs engine itself. I would reiterate my suggestion to see [and try] any one of the formulas included in the folder I mentioned
        That said you can overlay symbols and/or intervals on to the main chart if that is what you want. See this article in the eSignal KnowledgeBase on how to do this. In addition you can drag any pane [and/or its contents] on to any other pane. Search the eSignal KnowledgeBase for the articles related to this functionality
        At that point you can base virtually any study on any data series in a pane. Again refer to the eSignal KnowledgeBase for instructions on how to do this.
        Alex

Originally posted by MattR View Post
        Yes, I understand this.

I don't understand how to make these overlay like I described. Whenever I add an additional timeframe to a chart (such as adding 1-Day timeframe as subchart to 2-minute Chart), it shows it in a different window below the main chart. Thus, when I added a study to that subchart, it is shown in a different window below the chart. I am trying to get it to OVERLAY the main chart.

I had assumed this to be the case.

I did search the forum, and I cannot find any examples of this question being answered. Thus why I posted a question about it. Will you please point me to at least one example of this topic being covered?

Thanks,
        Matt

Comment

Working...
        X