Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JavaScript Reference

Hello Everyone,

We've received a lot of basic JavaScript questions for eSignal formula development. The following link is an excellent reference manual that should be able to answer a lot of your general questions. You can learn about the general JavaScript methods and functions for handling your data. For example, you can learn how to write to text files or how to use different types of loops, etc.

http://developer.netscape.com/docs/m...nicator/jsref/

Keep in mind, you will not find any references to eSignal specific JavaScript calls such as close(), etc. We are in the process of creating documentation to cover our JavaScript extensions, which will be available soon.

If you still have questions about general JavaScript techniques or questions related to eSignal Formula Script functions and calls, feel free to post a reply to this thread.
    Jason K.
    Project Manager
    eSignal - an Interactive Data company

EFS KnowledgeBase
    JavaScript for EFS Video Series
    EFS Beginner Tutorial Series
    EFS Glossary
    Custom EFS Development Policy

New User Orientation

prosperos anos

Jason,

Thanks for answering a question I was just about to post. [Is the efs scripting language based on java or javascript?] Looks like I bought the wrong books. Back to Borders. Could you recommend a book or two to get us non-programmers started with javascript? I've bookmarked your online source and it looks good but sometimes I need to pull away from the electrons to concentrate. My current first choice would be the Peachpit Press Visual Quickstart Guide series.

happy new year everyone @ esignal
    and all those on esignal central

Peter
    /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

Comment

Hello Peter,

Happy New Year to you as well.

EFS formulas are written in JavaScript, which is based on Java, but was developed primarily for client-side scripting in web page development. We're using JavaScript for EFS formulas because it is easy to learn and allows us to add functionality to the language for eSignal specific use.

Before I recommend any books I would suggest that anyone new to JavaScript and EFS formula development visit our Advanced Charting Resource Center. You'll find all the documentation we currently have for EFS scripting plus a couple links to some JavaScript tutorials. Beyond that, I would recommend JavaScript The Definitive Guide by David Flanagan (4th Edition). I like this book because it has a large section that covers core JavaScript. For example, it has excellent examples on how to use arrays, loops, time functions and other methods that are not specific to web page development. The problem with most JavaScript books you'll find is that they are heavily geared towards client-side references, which you won't use for EFS formulas. So any other book that covers core JavaScript would be useful.

Good Luck,
      Jason K.
      Project Manager
      eSignal - an Interactive Data company

EFS KnowledgeBase
      JavaScript for EFS Video Series
      EFS Beginner Tutorial Series
      EFS Glossary
      Custom EFS Development Policy

New User Orientation

Comment

Working...