No bars printing!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No bars printing!

Can someone pls tell me what I have done wrong here? I have no bars printing in my indicator pane!!! I do have the value RETURNed to my cursor window, however, but not a bar in the pane!
    Thanks
    GP
    function preMain(){ setPriceStudy(false); setStudyTitle("Up/Dn Vol"); setCursorLabelName("Up/Dn Vol"); setDefaultBarFgColor(Color.green); setStudyMin(20); setStudyMax(299); addBand(100, PS_SOLID, 2, Color.black,"equalvolume"); var fp0 = new FunctionParameter("market", FunctionParameter.STRING); fp0.setName("Market"); fp0.addOption("NYSE"); fp0.addOption("NASDAQ"); fp0.setDefault("NYSE"); } var volRatio; function main(market){ if (market=="NYSE") {volRatio=((close("$UVOL")/close("$DVOL"))*100).toFixed(2);} else {volRatio=((close("$UVOLQ")/close("$DVOLQ"))*100).toFixed(2);} if (volRatio < 100) {setBarFgColor(Color.red,0);} return new Array (volRatio); }
    Last edited by wombat953; 09-03-2003, 09:59 AM.

Hello GP,

The .toFixed() method returns a string. If you return a string to the chart, the value will appear in the cursor window but will not be drawn on the chart. To convert your volRatio variable back to a number, just multiply the result by 1.

PHP Code:
    function preMain() { 

setPriceStudy(false); 

setStudyTitle("Up/Dn Vol"); 

setCursorLabelName("Up/Dn Vol"); 

setDefaultBarFgColor(Color.green); 

setStudyMin(20); 

setStudyMax(299); 

addBand(100PS_SOLID2Color.black,"equalvolume"); 

var 
    fp0 = new FunctionParameter("market"FunctionParameter.STRING); 

fp0.setName("Market"); 

fp0.addOption("NYSE"); 

fp0.addOption("NASDAQ"); 

fp0.setDefault("NYSE"); 

var 
    volRatio

function 
    main(market) {
        if (
    market == "NYSE") {

volRatio = ((close("$UVOL")/close("$DVOL"))*100).toFixed(2)*1;
        } else {

volRatio = ((close("$UVOLQ")/close("$DVOLQ"))*100).toFixed(2)*1;
        } 

if (
    volRatio 100) {

setBarFgColor(Color.red,0);
        }

return 
    volRatio

Jason K.
    Project Manager
    eSignal - an Interactive Data company

EFS KnowledgeBase
    JavaScript for EFS Video Series
    EFS Beginner Tutorial Series
    EFS Glossary
    Custom EFS Development Policy

New User Orientation

Comment

Jason - as always, many thanks. Altho' I m not sure I can say that this is completely intuitive! However, it is indeed in the JAVA doco!
      "The Number.prototype.toFixed method returns a string representing a Number object in fixed-point notation, rounded to the number of digits after the decimal point specified by fractionDigits."

I did run across some code - posted here recently as part of a long thread- regarding TICK/TICKI readings, and was baffled why the author also used the "*1". There is no "tofixed" in this code. Or is he just being extra careful?
      Thanks
      George
      cT = close(0, 1, "$tick")*1;
      var cTi = close(0, 1, "$ticki")*1;
      var cTi_l = low(0, 1, "$ticki")*1;
      var cTi_h = high(0, 1, "$ticki")*1;
      if (cT == null || cTi == null || cTi_l == null || cTi_h == null) return;
      Last edited by wombat953; 09-03-2003, 02:33 PM.

Comment

Hello GP,

That's a little coding trick I use to convert the result of those calls to a number. The actual result of close(0, 1, "$tick") is an array of size 1. The proper way to return the result to the chart would be to reference the array number. For example, if you removed the *1, then instead of referencing cT throughout the formula, you would reference it as cT[0]. In the return statement at the end of main() you would then need to change cT to cT[0].

Here's another handy trick that's kind of related to the above example. Notice the +"" in the last return statement of the formula you're referring to? barH and barL are numbers, but I didn't want to return the value to the chart if sOption was "Hist." Adding the +"" to barH and barL converts those variables to strings, which allows the values to be displayed in the cursor window but not drawn on the chart.
        Jason K.
        Project Manager

EFS KnowledgeBase
        EFS Glossary

New User Orientation

Comment

Jason - so you are saying that a string variable cannot - and will not - be returned to the chart in a separate pane, ever. And that this might be a desirable course of action, at some times.
          What about string variables in the body of the chart proper (with the price data)?
          Thanks
          George
          Last edited by wombat953; 09-03-2003, 06:01 PM.

Comment

Hello George,

You get the same behavior for price studies.
            Jason K.
            Project Manager

EFS KnowledgeBase
            EFS Glossary

New User Orientation

Comment

Working...
            X