DLL Forum Interest Survey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DLL Forum Interest Survey

The purpose of this thread is to determine the level of interest in a "DLL" forum.

I have been using the DLL capability of eSignal efs for the last 9 months.

My original motivation was that the efs version of the studies I use was too slow to allow more than about 6 charts before eSignal slowed to a crawl. By moving the computations to a DLL, I was able to speed up the calculations up by ~100X, so that I now routinely view about 60 charts without any noticable reduction in eSignal speed.

I then discovered that DLL's are incredibly powerful, they can be used to add almost any capability desired to eSignal. For example, I have already implemented the following:

1) Display a user-designed dialog box showing computational results and gathering user input.

2) Switch to any desired time template from efs. I primarily trade futures, and when I change symbols the correct time template (stored in the Registry) is automatically set up, eliminating a major source of errors (for me, anyway).

I have partially completed (expect completion within a week) of the capability to set an advanced chart to a new symbol and/or interval from efs! This will enable, for example, custom scans.

There are many other things that can be done, they require extensive effort by people who are knowledgable in C++ and the WIN32 API.

What I am hoping to do is create a forum of people with the knowledge and ability to tap this capability. We would discuss what's possible (almost anything), what's worth the effort, and divide up the tasks (sort of an eSignal FSF community).

This forum would NOT be intended to teach programming, C++, or the WIN32 API, although mutual assistance is definitely intended. We might, for example, gather our experiences and publish an "eSignal DLL Programming manual" since current documentation is minimal.

If you are interested (and capable of contributing) please respond to this post; if there is enough interest I will set up a forum.

I'm in...

I'm trying to create a "protection device" for esignal EFS files.

I have created the external apps to support this, but am struggling with the dll in C++.

Count me in..

Brad
    Brad Matheny
    eSignal Solution Provider since 2000

Comment

Might need you help...

I have an immediate need for the following solution...

I need to be able to ENABLE and EFS file for certain clients (based on unique USER IDs

and

set and EFS Expiration date based on the user IDs.

Can you assist in developing a DLL or tool to accomplish this??

Brad
      Brad Matheny
      eSignal Solution Provider since 2000

Comment

I am definetely interested, as I have come to the realization that using efs scripts just cannot cope efficiently with a myriad of issues such as instancing, security, speed, utilization of function libraries and so on.

I am now in the process of looking to codify all my developed efs's into dlls. However I would be considered a novice to most C++ programmers at this stage, so I would not be able to contribute to any specific coding problems. I believe that the step from efs coding to dll coding should not be that great considering the sophistication required to wring out the best performance out of efs scripting. In my distant past I did dabble in assembly language coding in the dark old days of DOS writing applets and drivers.

I would like to see all the issues related to interfacing with eSignal and if there was a fully developed manual then that would be of great help.

Robert

Comment

Re: DLL Forum Interest Survey

Add me to your list of interested and capable.

Comment

[Doji3333]"I have created the external apps to support this, but am struggling with the dll in C++."

[rcameron]"... I would be considered a novice to most C++ programmers at this stage, so I would not be able to contribute to any specific coding problems"

===

Consider getting rid of that C crud and replacing it with PowerBasic. It seems to be at least as powerful as C/C++ (pointers, true DLLs that can be called by any program, small/fast EXEs, fixed length and null terminated string types, etc).

It's a LOT easier to learn than C, almost as easy as VB. IOW, it is self-teachable.

But not quite as easy as VB. There are several experimental Integrated Development Environment programs available for PB but so far I'm sticking with the "manual" approach.

Windows API calls are pretty much the same as in C/C++ - include the api header file and make the call.

Their user forum is active and helpful.

I have often dreamed of a language I call "C-" (C minus all the dumb stuff) that would have the power and speed and low level access that C has, but be more "familliar" to those of us that don't have coworkers in the next cube that can answer questions and solve problems. Ideally it would allow you do in-line assembly if you really needed to optimize a function.

And PB does let you do in-line assembly code.

So I guess my dream has come true.

Comment

pflash50:

Thanks for your recomendation, I've briefly taken a look at the developer's web site and looked at some coding examples and it all seems very straightforward. I had hoped to stick with C++ as I felt it would be easier to port efs code. But going to baisc does not seem a big deal especially if you can get fast development without bloatware dlls. I will be deciding which system to go shortly.

Robert

Comment

Count me in too!

Fibbgann
                Excellent book on JavaScript for beginners

Comment

Working...
                X