X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prev Close.efs/Todays Open.efs at Market Opening

Hello,

I display Prev Close.efs and Todays Open.efs on Advanced Charts.
    If I open the page before the market open, the charts display Close/Open prices and lines for the previous trading day, of course.
    If I continue displaying the same page at the market opening, however, Close/Open prices and lines are not updated correctly; i.e. correct yesterday's close and today's open are not displayed.
    So, I have to close the page and re-open it to get them right every time, which takes minutes and is a pain at the busy market opening.
    Is there any way I can fix this.
    I initially started using eSignal 7.2 and last upgraded to 7.4 (build 608) in July 2003.
    Any suggestion will be appreciated.

Mori

Hi Mori,

I'm not the programming guru that you'll find over at the EFS forum, so I don't know if you can code a "reload" option. However, you don't have to close the page and reopen to reload the EFS studies. You can right click from within the chart, go to bottom of drop down menu to "Reload" and select the formula you want to reload.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
    Andy

Comment

Hi Andy,
      Thank you for your comment.
      I have 8 - 16 Advanced Charts (depending on the page layout) over 2 monitors, so re-loading the formula manually for each chart is still a pain.
      Do you think I had better post this issue under EFS forum for further suggestion?
      Thanks in advance.
      Mori

Comment

Hi Mori,

I see what you mean. With that many charts, it would be a hassle.

I've moved this post from eSignal 7.x to EFS Studies to see if anyone on this forum knows of code that can be inserted to these formulas which will automatically reload the formulas just after the open of a new trading day.

Regards,
        Andy

Comment

Moishi,

Could you provide just a tad more detail? I beleive I can fix your problem with a few nice added features. I don't understand how the Prevclose.efs shows up then doesn't?

Fibbgann
          Excellent book on JavaScript for beginners

Comment

Moishi,

Try putting this in each of your formulas

PHP Code:
            if (getDay() != getDay(-1)){reloadEFS();} 
            This will reload each chart on the first bar of the day.

See this link for more info

getDay()

Comment

FibbGann

This morning, I captured 3 snapshots for $CAC to show in more details what I mean.
              While observing the charts, I noticed that the daily chart did not create a new bar at the opening, hence continued updating a bar for the previous day.
              From the remarks of these EFSs, I understand that they try to get Index from the daily bar, and wonder the problem with Open/Close EFS is related to the finding that a new daily bar is not created properly.

To stevehare2003
              I have not yet tried your suggestion.
              Given that re-loading EFS manually did not work, however, I wonder your suggestion will work.

Further help to solve this problem will be appreciated.

Mori
              Attached Files

Comment

This is the second snapshot after market opening.
                Attached Files

Comment

This is the third snapshot after re-loading page.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by moishi; 11-13-2003, 01:19 AM.

Comment

Hello Mori,

I provided a coding solution for a similar problem in the thread below. Check it out and see if it works for you as well.

Get Previous Close Without Reload
                    Jason K.
                    Project Manager
                    eSignal - an Interactive Data company

EFS KnowledgeBase
                    JavaScript for EFS Video Series
                    EFS Beginner Tutorial Series
                    EFS Glossary
                    Custom EFS Development Policy

New User Orientation

Comment

Hello JasonK,

Thank you for your suggestion.

Before reading your post, I made the attached EFS (TodaysOpen_Test.efs) yesterday and tested it for $CAC and $DAXI this morning.

One of my other problems is that the daily charts do not create a new bar at the market open and continues updating the price bar for the previous trading day. (all intraday charts create a new bar at market open.)
                      assuming that this might be causing some problem with EFS such as TodaysOpen.efs and PrevClose.efs, I disabled [vSymbol += ",D"] line to see if this would produce a different result.

This EFS started drawing today's open price at market open.
                      On the other hand, I also found that getFirstIndexOfDay does not always return the same open prices, if I use intraday timeframe, instead of daily one.

From the above, therefore, I feel that my problems with some of EFSs are related to those of daily charts (or time/data handling of daily timeframe at the market open?).

Do you have any suggestion?

Mori
                      Attached Files

Comment

Hello Mori,

The issue with the daily chart is a known problem. Not sure if it is the culprit behind the problem you're having. I'll do some testing at the open next week to find out more on the issue. In regards to the daily chart problem, once the new day's bar does start, the chart corrects the previous day's bar.
                        Jason K.
                        Project Manager

EFS KnowledgeBase
                        EFS Glossary

New User Orientation

Comment

Hello Jason,

Thank you for your comment.
                          I look forward to further information on the result of your test.

Mori

Comment

Hello Mori,

I just watched the $CAC open on the daily chart a short while ago and did not see any updates being reported to the previous day's bar. This behavior was a known bug in 7.4, which I believe is fixed in the current 7.5 beta (build 624), which is what I've been testing with this week. I've been watching the daily chart at the open earlier this week on INTC and $SPX and everything looked good there as well. I'm still going to test this a couple more times to be sure.

At the same time, I was also testing your TodaysOpen_test.efs at the open on 5-minute charts. By disabling the [vSymbol += ",D"] portion, the formula will return the open price of the first intra-day bar, which can be different that the open price on a daily chart. With U.S. equities, for example, on the intra-day bar there can be some pre-market trades that get reported to the first intra-day bar. On the daily chart, the pre-market trades that are reported right at or after the market open are not recorded for the daily chart so the open price will be the first trade update that is not a pre-market trade. From what I've seen so far this week, it looks like the data for $CAC is handled the same way.

What you want your formula to display will be your preference. If you want the open of the daily chart to be plotted on your intra-day chart, enable the [vSymbol += ",D"], otherwise your formula will give you the open price of the first intra-day bar. Hope this helps.
                            Jason K.
                            Project Manager

EFS KnowledgeBase
                            EFS Glossary

New User Orientation

Comment

Hello Jason,

Thank you for the detailed information.

I want an open of the official session, so will have to enable the [vSymbol += ",D"] as per your suggestion.

I am pleased with your comment that the bug concerning the daily bar in 7.4 is fixed in the 7.5 beta, and look forward to the release of its official version. (I had a bad experience with the beta version (not from eSignal) in the past and am rather reluctant to make a trial.)

For your information, even with 7.4, PrevClose.efs and TodaysOpen.efs work properly for some symbols such as INTC, MSFT, SPY, QQQ and DIA.
                              For example, when I start eSignal before 9:30 EST, the daily chart creates a flat bar for today at the pre-market price level.
                              Then, today's daily bar starts updating at 9:30 EST, and Today's open and Previous close are drawn on the intra-day charts.

Mori

Comment

Working...
                              X