EFS for Adding $TVOL to chart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EFS for Adding $TVOL to chart

I am told that eSignal cannot give me Volume data on indices for S&P500, DJIA, etc.

Is there an existing efs for adding $TVOL to a chart, indices or stock.

Regards and keeep up the good work,

AB

alvinsboy
    Not sure this is exactly what you are looking for but here below are a couple of links to threads that may be related to your question
    Alex

http://forum.esignalcentral.com/show...hlight=%24tvol
    http://forum.esignalcentral.com/show...hlight=%24tvol

Comment

Thanks yet again Alex,

Perhaps I misunderstand the S&P500, you are not the first person who does not understand why I am looking for volume data on the S&P, etc. It seems invaluable to me.

I am attempting to display the daily Total Volume of trades for the constituants on an Index, eg S&P500; total volume of trades fro that day for all the constituents.

$SPX does not display this volume !!!!!.

So, my idea is to try for second best. I can display $TVOL, but I now need to display this on 'the bottom' of an $SPX chart.

Your threads were helpful, however most of the efs's have broken links.

Best regards,

AB

Comment

alvinsboy
        In the mean time you can use the attached efs that will plot the volume (and an MA of it) of a symbol other than the one in the price window.
        Alex

Attached Files

Comment

Thanks Alex,

It looks like what I am trying to achieve.

When I can use eSignal (EOD has thrown me off), I will test it, but it looks good.

I'll let you know after trading hours.

Thanks again

AB

Comment

Alex,

Thank you, your volume(sym)ma works.

Why can I not achieve;
            "to display the daily Total Volume of trades for the constituants on an Index, eg S&P500; total volume of trades fro that day for all the constituents. ".

Other 'packages' allow such a 'true' index volume with indices such as S&P500, Nasdaq Comp., Nikkei, FTSE100. THIS MUST BE POSSIBLE.

Please, can you help further?,

Best regards,

AB

Comment

alvinsboy
              The replies to your questions will have to come from someone at eSignal.
              Alex

Comment

Hello AB,

The total volume figure for the S&P500 is not currently available in eSignal. That data would have to be calculated on our end as the information is not sent from the exchange.
                Jason K.
                Project Manager
                eSignal - an Interactive Data company

EFS KnowledgeBase
                JavaScript for EFS Video Series
                EFS Beginner Tutorial Series
                EFS Glossary
                Custom EFS Development Policy

New User Orientation

Comment

Jason,

Any plans on doing this? Many traders do you volume (either directly or via studies that use volume...and therefore may be getting bogus results that they don't even know are bogus).

G
                  Garth

Comment

Hello Garth,

I don't think $TVOL or $TVOLQ are giving bogus results. We just don't have the equivalent symbol for the total volume of the S&P500 index. I don't know if there are plans for adding that. You could always send in a request via [email protected].
                    Jason K.
                    Project Manager
                    eSignal - an Interactive Data company

EFS KnowledgeBase
                    JavaScript for EFS Video Series
                    EFS Beginner Tutorial Series
                    EFS Glossary
                    Custom EFS Development Policy

New User Orientation

Comment

Jason,

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that $TVOL was giving bogus results...what I was trying (and doing a poor job of it, it would seem) was to explain that many traders use studies and don't really understand what they do...so if one uses volume and they ran it on the $SPX or $OEX they would get bad results and may not even know it.

I personally feel that volume should be included for all index symbols, even if eSignal has to calculate it itself. Luckily for $SPX I can look at the Spoos volume and have a clue as to what is going on. Still, I would like to have volume come up as expected when I type in an index symbol.

I will suggest this.

Garth
                      Garth

Comment

Working...
                      X