Dashboard....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dashboard....

I came up with an idea last night and built this little app this morning. Thought I would show it off a bit.

If dloomis agrees, I would like to add his "thremo" program to it and create a little "dashboard" type of application.

This program measures the volume, price and price direction currently and plots them in "dials". It is a working proto-type - but I imagine I will have a better working version in a few days.

Any feedback would be great.

Brad
    Attached Files
    Brad Matheny
    eSignal Solution Provider since 2000

Dashboard Code...

Here is the code for everyone to play with..

B
    Attached Files
    Brad Matheny

Comment

Brad

You hardly need my permission, but go for it! By all means.

If you need any help, let me know.

Comment

My $0.02..

Where you figure the the Price Direction, I think

max+min/2 == stochastic of 50% over the period of interest

Remember, stoch=(close-ll)/(hh-ll)

Maybe easier to calc the stochastic then compare to 0.5. Will save a little time in the loop just above where you try to figure the max and mins - especially for long lookback periods

Comment

Suggestions...

Dloomis,

Keep 'em flying my way...

I don't know about stochastics because it has inherent flaws (sometimes moves in the opposite direction of price). I might consider other indicators though.

My intention is to create something like the "HighFive" system or your Thermo system - an active screen where users can view and control variables in a "dashboard" type of solution.

This is just the start.. I can imagine all sorts of cool tools with this structure..

Brad
          Brad Matheny

Comment

Re: Reply to post 'Dashboard....'

I think you missed my point.

You are in effect using stochastic in your price direction calculation
            because you are comparing the current price to the HH and LL of the past x
            bars. Stochastic will calculate all this automatically for you - and over a
            large look back range the saving in cpu overhead in the loop from 0 to x
            might be worth using stochastic.

So if stochastic is >0.5 then bullish and <0.5 bearish. A reading of 50% on
            stochastic simply means the price is in the middle of the most recent HH and
            LL - the same as you price direction setting of bull/bear

>

Comment

Re: Reply to post 'Dashboard....'

I also don't see how you can get a neutral reading on the price direction,
              unless the close(0) is EXACTLY btwn the HH and LL

----- Original Message -----
              To: <[email protected]>
              Sent: Wednesday, November 26, 2003 2:09 PM
              Subject: Reply to post 'Dashboard....'

> Hello dloomis,
              >
              > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              >

Comment

Brad

I always use dloomis's thermo in my charts. So if you like a suggetsion keep the dashboard compact: the size of the screens is increasing day by day but the numebr of things we have on it keeps on clutter them.
                Fabrizio L. Jorio Fili

Comment

//idea 'borrowed' from doji333's idea to use my idea to draw indicators as thermomters.

//takes up less screen real estate but is not as 'sexy'
                  Attached Files

Comment

get the picture?
                    Attached Files

Comment

David

Got ther picture and already applied on my chart. The fact is that is right- not that sexy, but should not be - IMHO- a Non Price study.

The beauty of your thgermo is that stel no space at all and perfectly integrates inside the Chart and even more The BARS!

So you genious have great Ideas, - and the Brad is one of those-
                      I can see it as a sort of round "ball "or Hot ball or square that increase in size and color according to the two dimensions defined. In the Chart. So at the Glance you can see it pulse and grown or change color without having to Stack study or change pane.

The Brad Idea is very intriguing and your approach is - IMHO- the more practical even if not sexy as the brad one.
                      I mean , Try to imagine something like a Rubik cube in 3 d ( hot AMOF) that literally Pulse and change colours ......and the 3 dimesions or axis can be assigned by the user at his will.

If you made it, I buy it right now. If is free, well I will not send it back.

Thank you foir your thermo niway , WHICH I WARMLY ADVISE TO ALL THE FELLOW TRADERS ( as already did )
                      Fabrizio L. Jorio Fili

Comment

Very Interesting...

David,

The idea came to me as an "after-thought". I was wondering "IF" I could create a "dial" based system and make it interactive in eSignal. I had never seen this done before - so I thought I would try it...

Obviously, the practical implications of this are somewhat limited, but the visual appeal is interesting. I could stack 6~10 of these "mini-dials" onto a small lower pane of a chart. What they would do is another story.

But, the interesting thing to consider is what practical use could this be developed for.

Fabrizio makes an interesting point - size, shape and color. Drawing 3D images in esignal COULD be done, but the practical side of this would be the limitation of controlling everything. This would probably be easier to develop as a DLL that sat as a floating window (on top of esignal).

I'm going to continue to explore the development side of the "dashboard" and see what I can come up with.

Thanks for the input - maybe together we can improve on the idea a bit. Like I said, I was planning on deploying your "Thermo" system into this - trying to create a well rounded type of "dashboard" effect.

B
                        Brad Matheny

Comment

Brad

Thanks for your creativity , as a matter of fact an interactive dial dashborad ahs never benn seen . And beside my abstract suggestion would be of great interest .

( what about the site?????? did not get any news or subscription form since than.....)
                          Fabrizio L. Jorio Fili

Comment

New Site....

Fabrizio,

The site is almost ready to launch. My new ad for it hits in about a week, so I have to finish everything SOON.

I'm sure many people in these forums will find it interesting. I don't want to go into too much detail now, but I will in a few days.

I'm completing everything that is needed to "launch" it. I hope it is a big success and can help many people.

Best regards,

Brad
                            Brad Matheny

Comment

Newer Version of Dashboard

Hey Folks,

Here is the newest version of "The Dashboard". I have made a few minor changes as I have been trying to develop new indicators to include into it.

1. Red line in Volume circle reflexts the previous 6 bars cuculative volume.
                              2. Blue line in Volume circle reflects curent bars volume.
                              3. Price direction changed to "+++","---" or "===" - to shrink it a bit.

Going to develop "half-circles" (vertically and horizontally) as well as "Digital-type" guages. Having fun with this. I think if I can get everything small enough, I could report to users 10~15 different indicator values in a "dashboard" type of system. I think this could be of use for people.

Fibrizio - imagine having one "dashboard" reflect the 10 other indicators you are using. Instead of having multiple indicator panes, you would have ONE with everything on it.

B
                              Attached Files
                              Brad Matheny

Comment

Working...
                              X