Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Highest & Lowest on the screen

Hi all,

Is there a way to get the highest high and lowest low of the bars which are displayed on the screen?

Thanks in advance

Hello Balligil,

EFS doesn’t have a method for determining the number of bars displayed on a chart. Not sure if this is possible, but you are more than welcome to submit a suggestion to development at [email protected].
    Jason K.
    Project Manager
    eSignal - an Interactive Data company

EFS KnowledgeBase
    JavaScript for EFS Video Series
    EFS Beginner Tutorial Series
    EFS Glossary
    Custom EFS Development Policy

New User Orientation

Comment

Jason,

This isn't strictly true. There is getOldestBarIndex(), which is the same as getting the number of bars in the chart.

What I do for this case if wait for the current bar index to == 0 then I do a loop from 0 to getOldestBarIndex() using conditionals to save the current highest high or lowest low.

PHP Code:

If (getCurrentBarIndex() != 0){
         return;
      }

for (
      getOldestBarIndex(); == 0i++){
            if (
      high(i) > nhighestHi){

nHighestHi high(i);
            if (
      low(i) < nlowestLo){

nLowestLo low(i);

Hope this helps...it should be 90% of the code you need.

Garth
      Garth

Comment

Hi Garth,

My understanding of what Balligil is asking for is to get the number of bars that are visible in the chart window, not the total number of bars loaded in the chart. Perhaps Balligil can clarify for us.
        Jason K.
        Project Manager

EFS KnowledgeBase
        EFS Glossary

New User Orientation

Comment

Jason,

Getting clarification would be good. If it is the number of bars displayed I have an idea. Why not create a general ROI function that would look at all bars from where a user first clicks with the mouse to where a user second clicks with the mouse.

After the generic framework is set up, you could then add the logic for highest high and lowest low, and I'm sure others would use the framework for other studies.

Then all Balligil would have to do is click on the oldest bar visible on the chart and the newest bar visible on the chart and it is done.

Garth
          Garth

Comment

Hi again,

Thanks to you both for your replies. JasonK is right saying that I want get the number of bars that are visible in the chart window.

Actually what I am looking for is the max. and min. values of the y-axis scale.

Thanks again. Have a merry Christmas.

Comment

Re: Reply to post 'Highest &amp; Lowest on the screen'

Most of the time, the number of bars on a chart is fixed, so in this case
              the number of bars could be a user entered parameter.

----- Original Message -----
              To: <[email protected]>
              Sent: Wednesday, December 24, 2003 12:13 PM
              Subject: Reply to post 'Highest & Lowest on the screen'

> Hello dloomis,
              >
              > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              >

Comment

Hello Balligil,

I've come up with an idea that should work for you, thanks in part to David and Garth's ideas. This formula I've put together should give you what you want. The only downside to this formula is that it's not automatic. After you apply the formula to your chart, get the bar index of the oldest visible bar in your chart and use that number to get the total number of visible bars in your chart. Make sure you are displaying the Bar Index in your cursor window. If you need to turn that on, just right click on the cursor window and select properties. Once you have the settings you want for the HH and LL lines, they will update as new bars arrive to only show the HH and LL for the last x bars you've specified.

For example, in the chart below I put the cursor on bar -71. Take 71+1, or 72 and enter that number in "Edit Studies" for the Number of Bars input parameter. There's probably a better way to do this, but this should work just fine. If you have any questions, let me know.

xBarsHHLL.efs

Jason K.
                Project Manager

EFS KnowledgeBase
                EFS Glossary

New User Orientation

Comment

Most of the time, the number of bars on a chart is fixed, so in this case
                  True for some traders...not so much for others who change the spacing between bars and grow and shirk charts as the charts become more interesting (or less interesting).

I still think ROI tool is the way to go here (until an EFS function is created to give us bars visible).

Garth
                  Garth

Comment

This might be a little easier for the casual reader to comprehend, with the same result.
                    Attached Files

Comment

David,

Is it possible to tweak this efs so that one may be alerted each time a new high as been reached?

Cheers

Carlton

Comment

Hi All,

Here is a fun version of the script that David modifed. It uses 2x mouse clicks to define where the left most bar to start the High/Low analysis if the user defined number of bars = 0 (now the default). If number of bars is non-zero it will use that to determine the number of bars to the left to use (the way the script was originally modified by David), but mouse clicks will be ignored.

This means you can change the size of the chart, or the number of bars displayed in the chart, and quickly adjust the High/Low.

Garth
                        Attached Files
                        Garth

Comment

Garth

That was fun, thx for the ideas.

I noticed if I click more than nBars to the left, the line drawn for the hi/lo maxes out at nBars. I changed nBars from 20 to 200 and that seemed to clear it up, probably cuz vDonchian doesn't get calculated in line 64, except the first time thru the efs.

I commented out line 63 and the effect seems better.

Comment

David,

Thanks for the info. I'll clean it up and repost a new version.

Garth
                            Garth

Comment

Working...
                            X