calling a non-price study

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• calling a non-price study

I am attempting to call a value from study ("A") into the calculation of study ("B") -- these are located on separate efs. The one value being called ("A") is a non-price study and is going to be called (to add or subtract) from the price study in another efs. Does anyone know of a good example I could reference? I have not be able to find one as of yet.

thank you,

c_13

c_13
    You may want to check this thread on call() and callFunction()
    Alex

Comment

thanks Alexis, will check it out.

Comment

Alex,

On the thread which is attached below regarding call() and callFunction() for the uninitiated (I am definitely in that camp), you give the example of calling a non-price study.

Is it possible to have a price study EFS which has various studies in it (Moving averages etc) which is able to call a non-price study EFS (for example a MACD) and show the output from that non price study in a separate window below the price study?

I am trying to do this so I can give signals which have inputs from both the studies on the price chart and the non-price studies too. I want to check those signals by visually seeing the non price indicators on the same chart as the indicators on the price chart.

Is it possible to call a non-price study from an efs and output it in a separate "window" below the price study? (Like adding say a MACD to a price chart - but I would like to programme in the MACD to appear below the price chart by way of the single EFS calling the MACD efs.

Sorry to waffle on - hope that is clear.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Deax.

Comment

Deax
          You can call any price or non-price study from any efs irrespective of whether the calling efs is a price or non-price study. The output however will be in the same pane of the calling efs.
          Let me know if this does not answer your question
          Alex

Comment

Thanks Alex.

Is there any way that the output can be in a pane below the calling efs ? (But still on the same chart?)

If not, is there an alternative? You see, I am trying to create an efs (to backtest) using signals generated from a price study and a non-price study. The non-price study will be called by the efs of the price study (I thought that was the best way to do it - please advise if not).

I want to be able to see the price study and the non-price study from which the signals are taken to ensure VISUALLY that my programming is correct. Ideally I would like to see them on the same chart with the price study in the top pane and the non-price study in the lower pane.

Thus when I get a buy signal (which will be shown by the price bar turning green) I want to be able to see the studies that give the buy signal as the price bar turns green - so I can check my programming has opened the trade at the correct point. Similarly I want to see the sell signal occuring in the studies giving rise to a red price bar - and check those signals occur at the correct place. If I can't visually check, I cannot be sure that my programming is correct.

Am I missing a much easier way to achieve this end?

On a separate matter, when I backtest, I presume the backtest can cope with one efs calling another?

Many thanks.

Deax.

Comment

Deax

Is there any way that the output can be in a pane below the calling efs ? (But still on the same chart?)

The calling efs can plot anywhere you want.
              So in your case (assuming I understood your setup correctly) it would be calling both a price study and a non price study and plotting as a non price study in pane of its own.

On a separate matter, when I backtest, I presume the backtest can cope with one efs calling another?

Yes it does
              Hope this helps
              Alex

Comment

Alex,

I think I'm getting closer here.

I have an efs which has things like moving averages in it. I am referring to that efs as the calling efs. That efs plots to a price chart in a pane.

That efs calls a second efs which has a non-price indicator in it. I am referring to the second efs as the called efs. (It also calls a third efs with another non-price indicator in it, but lets leave that to one side for the moment).

I want the calling efs to show its output (price, moving averages etc.) in the top pane of the chart and the called efs to show its output (the non-price indicator) in the lower pane of the same chart.

You seem to be saying this is possible, but how would I ensure it happens? At the moment, both efss are outputting to the same pane which, with the scale being the same for both outputs, is causing the price bars and moving averages (from the calling efs output) to be compressed so as not to be able to see the price bars (they are like a tiny line). This seems to be ocurring because the non-price indicator (from the called efs) is on the same chart pane.

How do I get the non-price study to be in a pane of its own?

Many thanks again.

Deax.

Comment

Deax
                  An efs can output only to one pane. In other words it cannot plot at the same time in either a price and non price pane or two non price panes.
                  However it can call both price and non price studies. The issue that arises at that point though is that the plots will be sharing the same scale.
                  Alex

Comment

OK Thanks Alex.

Is there any chance I could ask for separate pane output functionality to be developed by Esignal?

Deax

Comment

Hello Deax,

You may submit a suggestion for this ability directly to our development team at [email protected].
                      Jason K.
                      Project Manager
                      eSignal - an Interactive Data company

EFS KnowledgeBase
                      JavaScript for EFS Video Series
                      EFS Beginner Tutorial Series
                      EFS Glossary
                      Custom EFS Development Policy

New User Orientation

Comment

Working...
                      X