Two time frames

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two time frames

Can I write a formula that looks at two different time frames (say a 1" chart and a 5" chart) ? MK

Mark,

The short answer is yes. But that isn't a fair answer and doesn't give you the full story.

More details:

1) You can looks at multiple timeframes in a single EFS by using the getValue(), open(), low(), close(), high() etc functions. The paramter in these functions labeled "Symbol" is really "Symbol, interval". So even if I'm running on an IBM 60 minute chart, by specifying IBM,5 I could get 5 minute IBM values. Or I could use MSFT,5 even and get MSFT 5 minute chart values.

This functionality doesn't currently exist for study's. It only works for the raw OCHL and V values.

2) However, at this time, eSignal does nothing to synch these values (time wise) for you. So you have to do this work yourself. It is far from trivial, in fact it is the most complex task you can take on in EFS IMHO. I think I'm one of the few people who have done this.

3) In the future this will change, and I have played with the early work sounding this. It is very clean and nice. Once this is available and bug free doing what you want will be very simple.

4) Many people have done a work around of using universal globals (getGlobalValue(), setGlobalValue()) to pass data from one timeframe chart to another. If you do a search on those function names, you should be able to find threads talking about this, and example codes.

I think that covers it...

Garth
    Garth

Comment

Time views

Could you outline how you plan to use the different time views

for example I use Advance Get EOD, I work from the mothly down to the daily overlaying the ganns and mobs to get the big picture

I also use the searchs sifting from the monthly, then saving and doing the weekly etc

the end result being a handfull of stocks

is this the end result that your after or ??

Comment

Is there an update to this?

I would like to know how to get CCI study values from one chart(timeframe and/or symbol) to compare in another timeframe and make decisions based on the two.
        thanks,
        kenac

Comment

Calculating EMA values for different time intervals

Hi Kenac:

I read one of your posts on eSingal wherein you have mentioned that you know a way to calculate CCI study values for multiple time intervals in the same chart.

I am trying to develop a formula where in I need to calculate EMA values for different time intervals in a given chart.

I would appreciate if you would be in a position to guide me in this effort.

-Thanks

-Sameer

Comment

Hello Sameer,

I coded a routine to do what you need in this post, higher time moving average help, which calcs EMA of higher time frames. Hope this helps.
            Jason K.
            Project Manager
            eSignal - an Interactive Data company

EFS KnowledgeBase
            JavaScript for EFS Video Series
            EFS Beginner Tutorial Series
            EFS Glossary
            Custom EFS Development Policy

New User Orientation

Comment

Working...
            X