Intraday price extraction from a lower timeframe into a higher timeframe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intraday price extraction from a lower timeframe into a higher timeframe

It is fairly straightforward to extract price data from daily, weekly & monthly timeframes and display in intraday charts, however I want to extract price data from a 5min timeframe and display it accurately in say a 60min chart without having any other charts available.

I have played around with adding symbol name + interval after a price but it does not work because of the bar referencing issue.

Specifically what I would like to achieve is as follows:-

I want to draw the hi & lo of the first 5min cash open bar on the 60min chart, however I want it to display exactly between 9:30 and 9:35 even if there is pre market data and have it updated in real time.

Then I would like to draw the the hi & lo of the first 30min cash open bar on the 60min chart and again I want it to display exactly between 9:30 and 10:00 even if there is pre market data and updated in real time.

I do not want to change the time templates at all, I want to see all pre and post market data and of course if you have index futures it is virtually 24 hours, but I'm only interested in the lines being displayed in cash open hours.

Also if you switch time frames say to a lower one 30min or whatever, you will still be able to see all the lines correctly displayed.

I would appreciate any pointers how to code this.

Robert

Robert,

As you indicated, there are bar referencing issues which cannot be overcome in solving this without having a smaller timeframe advanced chart.

I think the only way to solve is to link the shorther timeframe to the longer timeframe chart and have the value(s) you wish posted as a global array variable. The longer term advanced chart efs looks for the global and draws the desired levels using drawLineRelative or drawShapeRelative. This would have to monitored on a tick by tick basis looking for changed values from the lower timeframe.

Comment

Hi Steve,

This is what I feared, and ultimately not what I would like to do as there are other indicators I would like to build in the same way.

If there is a way to do what I described in one chart as easy as it is to extract daily, weekly, monthly data into intraday timeframes, then that is the way to go for me. So if any one has any ideas how to do it then it would be much appreciated (code fragments or even conceptually is all I need) .

However if it is not currently possible (whether by hook or by crook!), then I will propose such a feature to eSignal to be considered for a future release.

Robert

Comment

Robert,

I had not thought of this, however, when you idicated you would propose as a new function, it dawned on me that when efs2 is put into production, you will have the ability to access multiple timeframe info in one chart/efs. Therefore, this functionallity is already on their plate for development. FWIW

Regards,

Comment

Do you or anyone know when we are likely to see efs2, and where we can see the current specs on what will be included?

Robert

Comment

Hi Robert,

EFS2 is currently under testing. Unfortunately no date has been set yet for its release.

Specs for what you want with the multiple time frame analysis will be similar to:

[assuming you're on a 60min chart].

high(int(5))
            high(int(30))

(to reference the high from the 5min and 30min bars, relative to the current 60min bar).

Comment

Hi Dion,

That's more or less what I want, and I want it now!

Joking aside, where can I find full specs on EFS2 so I can see what other gems are in the pipeline.

Robert

Comment

Working...
              X