Synchronization of studies, functions and Global Variables

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Synchronization of studies, functions and Global Variables

In EFS environment, calls to a global variable (declared in a diferent study) return ONLY THE LAST VALUE.

I understand that they are executed serial (ran for all previous bars, then for each bar in real-time), but is there a way to do our work (code testing, etc) in "after hours"?

Thanks.
    Last edited by mbuta; 02-08-2003, 09:25 PM.
    Mihai Buta

Re: Reply to post 'Synchronization of studies, functions and Global Variables'

Did you try declaring a global new Array variable. You should be able to
    save many values of your study etc. that way.

----- Original Message -----
    To: <[email protected]>
    Sent: Saturday, February 08, 2003 11:06 PM
    Subject: Reply to post 'Synchronization of studies, functions and Global
    Variables'

> Hello rhbishop,
    >
    > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    >

Comment

rhbishop,

Not a bad idea, but not a real somution either. The problem of course is that you still have no idea which efs will run first, or even if one will run to completion until the other is called. Since there is no method (currently) for blocking, that means the efs that is setting the values may not even start to run before the other efs has finished.

There are some long term plans to help will all these issues (Both Matt and Dion have dropped some hints), and there may be some short term helpers happening. But for now, this is a nogo, unless you are willing to load the EFS in order each time (which is also a possible short term solution - but a real pain).
      Garth

Comment

Let me correct one point from my last post...if the EFS formula's are running on the same chart you can use the callFunction() or call() routines to do what you want...and not use universal globals at all.

Have the efs who values you want to pass to the other efs be the one you load. It will pass values to the other function each time it is called, and then just add the return value from the called function as part of its return value.

The issues will be:
        1) Are the scales similar? If not one set of values will distort the other's.
        2) Will it make the chart too complex (too many lines)
        3) How can I tell which is which? Though by setting unique colors and cursor labels this shouldn't be an issue.
        Garth

Comment

Re: Reply to post 'Synchronization of studies, functions and Global Variables'

The purpose of all these is to (a) minimize the number of studies that are
          ran at a time (doe not take too many to clog the computer) and (b) to use
          higher interval indicators in a lower granulity chart (like 5min indicators
          on 1min chart, or 15min indicators on 5min charts).

I was able to transfer most my TradeStation indicators. ADX is diferent.
          TradeStation does not allow global variables and here does allow simplw
          backwards referencing and parameters passing.

We'll see. Thanks.

----- Original Message -----
          To: <[email protected]>
          Sent: Sunday, February 09, 2003 11:43 AM
          Subject: Reply to post 'Synchronization of studies, functions and Global
          Variables'

> Hello mbuta,
          >
          > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          >
          Mihai Buta

Comment

Working...
          X