Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Differences between Tradestation and eSignal

Hi,

I have been using Tradestation and am now trying eSignal. But I've noticed that Money Flow for Tradestation does not track the same as eSignal's, even though they are the same length. Tradestation says that they use the classic way Money Flow is measured. Does anyone know if there is a difference with eSignal? I could include the Tradestation version of Money Flow if there is anyone who can read both Easy Language and eSignal's language and would be willing to compare them.

Thanks a lot

Aline

In case you haven't looked at our documentation on Money Flow yet, please check out page 79 in Chapter 21/Appendix A of our pdf manual.

Thanks.

Comment

Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

I might not have made myself clear enough, for which I apologize. I searched all of the instances of Money Flow in Chapter 21/Appendix A and they told me a lot about Money Flow but not the code for it.

The most important thing, of course, was eSignal's name for it. If it is called Chaiken's Money Flow then it should be the original. But supposedly Tradestation's is also the original. So I can't see why there should be a discrepancy.

My real problem is that I have to begin trading European stocks on May 1st and Tradestation doesn't support European stocks. So I need to learn Javascript and write my indicators in it but I was going to use common indicators like Money Flow to help me learn the language.

Sort of like looking at a paragraph in English to learn the paragraph in French. I actually don't need to know the whole French language, just about six French paragraphs and then I can trade in French, so to speak.

I want to look at, say, the code for Money Flow in Tradestation's Easy Language, which I am fluent in, and the exact same code for Money Flow in Javascript. That seems to me to be the fastest way to learn how to write the six or so indicators I need to write.

I just need to make sure that the two codes are saying the same thing. If they are both the same length and are not tracking the same then I can't see how the code can be the same. But maybe I'm missing something.

I'm sure this is a lot more than you wanted to know but is there a way to see the eSignal code for Money Flow and begin to see the difference?

Thanks a lot,

Aline

Comment

Aline100,

I think part of the confusion is the difference between our Hard-coded studies (written in C++ inside of eSignal), and the example EFS Studies (included in the Chart Options --> Formulas folder.) I don't believe our hard-coded sutdy uses Chaikin as its basis, but instead uses the Money Flow Index calculations as seen here.

It seems your main inquiry is for an EFS file that calculates the Chaikin Money Flow, and I was able to find an example of this here at TS Support's site.
        Regards,
        Jay F.
        Product Manager

Comment

Hi,

I must have been mistaken. The Money Flow I have always used (as does Tradestation, it seems), has been smoothed out so that it only lists between 0 and 100.

This isn't want I need either but I did notice a couple of other indicators on TS Support's site so hopefully I can find something that helps me translate Easy Language to Esignal's language.

Thanks again for trying,

Aline100

Comment

Aline 100:

Actually, there are 2 "money flow" indicators available in eSignal. The one Jay referenced before is under the Basic Studies and as he said is not accessible. However, there is another EFS formula that you can select under the Formulas/Library menu that is labeled "cmf". This stands for Chaikin Money Flow and you will see the full title in the indicator pane if you bring it up.

This 2nd formula may be the one you are trying to find to compare to TS. It is also accessible from the EFS Editor also so that you can see the detail of the formula.

Comment

Working...
            X