Tick (trade, ask or bid)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tick (trade, ask or bid)

how do I determine if a tick is a trade, ask or bid.

I wan't to build an odd lot and large lot indicator, but I can't figure out how to determine if a tick is a trade, ask or bid.

Hi dmd,

By definition, a tick is a trade. An "ask" is a price being offered, a "bid" is a price that one is willing to pay, but neither are considered a true tick/trade until they are executed. EFS studies are only updated when a tick is transmitted. Could you clarify your your question based on this information? Thanks in advance.

Comment

main is called on bid and ask for ES #F

Main is being called when there is a bid ask or trade using tick interval.

run this using ES #F T, then open a T&S window for ES #F

function main()
      {
      var line = addZero(getMonth())
      + "/" + addZero(getDay())
      + "/" + addZero(getYear())
      + "," + addZero(getHour())
      + ":" + addZero(getMinute())
      + ":" + addZero(getSecond())
      + "," + close()
      + "," + volume();

debugPrint(line + "\n");
      }

Comment

Hello dmd,

There isn't a simple method for determining whether the update to the chart was a bid or ask update since some updates neither the bid or ask price changed from the previous chart update. Likewise when both the bid and ask price has changed from the previous chart update. You can however, distinguish between a trade and a quote update. This topic was previously discussed in this thread, Delivery of bid/ask info without a new tic?. See my post dated 2-27-04 at 8:45am. You'll find a code example, Tchart_QuoteVsTrade.efs, which will show you how to detect trades vs. quotes. You could take this a step further and compare the current bid and ask prices to the bid/ask prices recorded on the previous chart update to determine when the bid or ask price changed.
        Jason K.
        Project Manager
        eSignal - an Interactive Data company

EFS KnowledgeBase
        JavaScript for EFS Video Series
        EFS Beginner Tutorial Series
        EFS Glossary
        Custom EFS Development Policy

New User Orientation

Comment

Working...
        X