Interval V

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interval V

Testing a new efs using the V interval and noticed some special features that I would like some clarification on.

In this specific case I am testing on YM M4 using 100V. I am noticing that from time to time the data is missing from the cursor window. It shows up as blank or <None>. The line plots where it is supposed to and the data shows up in debugPrint.

I've also noticed a couple of bars being plotted where there is no data - no tick, but bar plotted anyway. For example, ticks received at 8:39:18 and 8:39:38. However, there is also a bar at 8:39:30. I came to this conclusion by printing out the bar time to debugPrint on each loop through main(). Maybe this can be explained by the way the V interval works.

This is a very simple efs so unlikely that I made some gapping error. Although not totally an impossibility.

I have also noticed that the volume sometimes exceeds the specification. For example I might get volume of 130 even though I specified intervals of 100. I can see how this could happen if the algorithm that converts the trades to the V interval doesn't parse individual trades.

Are there special issues with using the V interval that one needs to be aware of when building an efs?

Thanks.

Hello Gavishti,

Please post your formula so I can get a better idea of what you're seeing. Here are a few answers to some of your questions,

In this specific case I am testing on YM M4 using 100V. I am noticing that from time to time the data is missing from the cursor window. It shows up as blank or <None>. The line plots where it is supposed to and the data shows up in debugPrint.
    The "VolInBar" cursor label is only intended to display the information for bar 0. The historical bars would all have a value of 100 or more. We can create a formula to display the historical VolInBar numbers if you like. You could also use the basic Volume study.

I've also noticed a couple of bars being plotted where there is no data - no tick, but bar plotted anyway. For example, ticks received at 8:39:18 and 8:39:38. However, there is also a bar at 8:39:30. I came to this conclusion by printing out the bar time to debugPrint on each loop through main(). Maybe this can be explained by the way the V interval works.
    It's not clear to me what you're seeing here. Can you post some chart images to illustrate this? A bar in the advanced chart doesn't get created unless there is a trade.

I have also noticed that the volume sometimes exceeds the specification. For example I might get volume of 130 even though I specified intervals of 100. I can see how this could happen if the algorithm that converts the trades to the V interval doesn't parse individual trades.
    You are correct. The volume on a trade does not get split up to force the total to be 100 exactly. If on the last trade the total volume was 99 and the next trade size is 5, the volume bar will have a total of 104. Each 100V bar will have at least 100 in volume.

Are there special issues with using the V interval that one needs to be aware of when building an efs?
    I haven't done too much coding with V charts, but I imagine that the logic would be very similar if not identical to T charts. The main difference being the study is counting total volume vs. number of ticks. If you run into any problems, post your findings here and I'll help investigate.
    Jason K.
    Project Manager
    eSignal - an Interactive Data company

EFS KnowledgeBase
    JavaScript for EFS Video Series
    EFS Beginner Tutorial Series
    EFS Glossary
    Custom EFS Development Policy

New User Orientation

Comment

Working...
    X