(1690)Intraday Servers paint different charts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (1690)Intraday Servers paint different charts

After my Intraday charts stopped painting this morning, I rebooted QC in hopes of finding a new server. What I found was that the intraday Futures charts were painted very differently on the two different servers I connected to this morning.

In the attached pic, the ES & NQ Futures charts are shown, both on 55-min All Sessions charts (ES=pink; NQ=blue charts).

Note that on the top pic, with Intraday Server 216.23.235.120, the 9:30 candles - red for both Futures, both closed on the lower Bolliinger Band and both paint wicks below a horizontal line of support, with the NQ (blue chart) candle closing below the horizontal line of support.

Then, after rebooting and connecting to Intraday Server 216.23.235.19, note the candles are painted very differently. Note especially the NQ 9:30 candle is now a smaller red candle with a long wick - and its close is well above the horizontal line of support.

One - or both - the these servers is providing errant data.

See pic.
    Carol
    Attached Files

Hey CK,

This is a no-help fwiw.
    Does nothing to 'splain what indeed you did see this a.m.

I'm getting the same 9:30 bar on the two servers you mention.
    This at around 15:30 ET, same day.

So, something is up other than a mechanical case of bad bars on one or the other server.

ah, sweet mysteries...

LAM
    Attached Files

Comment

CK,

Looks like somehow, between your first screenshot, and then the restart of QCharts and your second screenshot, the Multi-minute setting got changed from Accurate to Fast.

LAM
      Attached Files

Comment

Larry,
        Thanks for digging into this - uhhh, maybe the MMB setting got changed, but, three things:
        (1) If it did, it did it on its own as I was sitting on "fast" all day.

(2) Just for giggles, I've changed back and forth between fast & accurate multiple times over the past 1.5 hours since your post. And, the results have been the same each time. Regardless of which setting I take in the MMB Preference - the charts look the same, whereas yours look decidedly different, between the two Preference settings. Intraday Server: 216.23.235.19, ES 55-min AS 9:30 candle closed at 1015.50.

(3) So, for even more giggles, I closed QC and rebooted the computer, and relogged in to QC, looking for a different server. And, again, regardless of fast or slow, the pics look the same on the new Intraday Server: 216.23.226.221: ES 55-min AS 9:30 candle closed at 1018.00, and, not the same as on the prior server.

Sticky sweet mysteries . . . Go figure.

See pic,
        Carol
        Attached Files

Comment

Larry,
          And now, a pic of the 2nd Intraday Server . . . .

Carol
          Attached Files

Comment

CK,

Dueling Charts...we need a theme song to go with this.

I got on the server in your latest screenshots.
            And I get different bars Accurate vs Fast.
            In fact, kinda by definition, with this 55 interval one "must" get different charts.

I've sent you the little workspace I'm using.

Try this procedure please...
            1. Start QCharts to blank workspace.
            2. Before loading workspace, do View>Prefs>MM bars>set to Fast - top radio button.
            3. Make sure Connection>Cache is OFF
            4. Load test workspace.
            5. Screenshot.
            6. Do File>New>Workspace (to get back to blank workspace state)
            7. Wait for symbol count to go to zero. (status bar = 0 Syms/XXX Max)
            8. Do View>Prefs>MM bars>set to Accurate - bottom radio button.
            9. Load test workspace.
            10. Screenshot.

I certainly get different charts Accurate vs Fast.

LAM
            Attached Files

Comment

LAM -

Some really interesting results - I'll put two pics up; this and the next post will show the results:
              (1) Running your test workspace with the specified procedure, Fast & Accurate returned different candles at 9:30, as expected.

(2) Going back to my original workspace with the SAME specified procedure, Fast & Accurate returned different candles at 9:30 - as they had not before.

So, somehow it seems that perhaps the Preference for MMBars is not "sticking / activating" properly?

See what you think.

Thanks for all your help.
              Carol
              Attached Files

Comment

LAM,

Here's the second pic of my original workspace - now displaying properly.

Perhaps the bug is in how the Preference for MMBars activates? I sure would hate to have to exit my workspace and wait for the symbol count to zero out, then reload the workspace every time I wanted to make this change.

Carol
                Attached Files

Comment

CK,

I don't consider the behavior of changing MM Bars from one to the other a bug, per se. It's just the way it's designed, namely to Not be dynamic in the sense that it will immediately throw away all the bars in the charts and reaccess data and repaint the bars. A suggestion could certainly be made regarding this.

The procedure I outlined was the full monty, so to speak. If you have No cache, you can flip the MM Bar setting and then just reload the workspace.

LAM

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Marchman
                    CK,

I don't consider the behavior of changing MM Bars from one to the other a bug, per se. It's just the way it's designed, namely to Not be dynamic in the sense that it will immediately throw away all the bars in the charts and reaccess data and repaint the bars. A suggestion could certainly be made regarding this.

The procedure I outlined was the full monty, so to speak. If you have No cache, you can flip the MM Bar setting and then just reload the workspace.

LAM

Larry,
                    hmmmm I have always switched MMBars from fast to slow during market hours (not often, but usually a few times a day) and they have always changed the look of the Intraday Charts simply with a change of the symbol.

Ok, so let's make a formal request here - Larry/Jay/whomever -
                    Please code the MMBars Preference such that the user can make the switch without having to exit the workspace/wait for the cache to clear/then reload the workspace. For anyone trading off Intraday Charts, the "full monty" is too time consuming.

Would whomever is the appropriate person with decision space please advise.

Thanks!
                    Carol

Comment

CK,

What needs to be done to change from Fast to Accurate is workspace design dependent.

If you have all charts Green-linked, then all you have to do is flip the Fast/Accurate setting and enter "another" symbol. If you have No cache, the the charts will be painted with the new setting since the data has to be downloaded fresh from the servers. This is like reloading the workspace.

If you have some charts Sym=Red, then you have to reload the workspace.

Again...the full monty isn't required if you have No cache.

LAM

Comment

LAM,

Like many traders, I keep the e-mini's locked red all day. So, I guess I'm stuck with the full monty. Thus leading to my request for the MMBars Preference to be updated/adjusted, in addition to being a global Preference, to also be a local/chart-specific Preference, like many others.

Carol

Comment

CK,

Lemme try one more time....
                          If you have Cache turned OFF, you do NOT have to do the full monty, even if Sym=RED.
                          Just flip the MMB Fast/Accurate setting and then
                          File> reload workspace from MRU list.

Of course, this doesn't address your request for a chart-specific Fast/Accurate setting.

LAM

Comment

LAM,

I always leave Cache turned off - that's not an issue for me. And, I always run the e-mini's on All Sessions - but not getting accurate candles there all the time is an issue for me, and probably for many others.

Ok, maybe not the full monty by your standards, but, here's what it takes to changes the workspace from Fast to Accurate:

To begin, the charts are on symbol "X" then, in order to see Accurate Charts, and back to Fast again, here are the necessary clicks of the mouse:

View / Preferences / MMBars / bottom radio button / ok / File / reload workspace from MRU (now wait 20-30 seconds for accurate candles of to load). If I'm watching say 3 different stocks and need to switch between them, I prefer the fast setting so I can do so in several seconds vs. a couple of minutes. So, to me, 7 clicks feels like the full monty when the market is screaming and I'm wanting to catch it.

This is what drives my request for an MMBars Preference that is chart-specific - a quick right click to a fly-out & then click fast/accurate - or, just 2 clicks. In this way, I could keep my e-mini's on accurate all day and flip thru stock symbols quickly, changing perhaps only 1 (one) intraday chart between fast/accurate and gaining more accuracy/clarity & speed - while probably also reducing the draw on the servers, too.

Hope this helps put it into perspective.
                            Carol
                            Last edited by ckelly; 09-01-2009, 04:29 AM.

Comment

Thanks Carol for the request, and thanks to both Larry and yourself for the thread.

While I like the idea of having a localized MMB setting down to the chart level, at this point in 6.1's development cycle, there's too much risk involved in getting that implemented in time. We are literally 2 weeks away from release, and touching the MMB code at this point could introduce new (and serious) bugs that could change the release date of 6.1 and push out the Continuum shutdown timeline (something that can't easily move.)

I'd be happy to revisit the idea in a 6.1 maintenance release or in a 6.2.
                              Regards,
                              Jay F.
                              Product Manager

Comment

Working...
                              X