Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

(1690) Continuum connection failed . . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (1690) Continuum connection failed . . .

I thought this problem had been fixed?

Just an fyi that clicking YES to switch to eSignal-only Mode does not correct the problem. Rather, manually closing QCharts and relogin is required. This is the 2nd time in as many days as I've received the error message.

fyi,
    Carol
    Attached Files
    Last edited by ckelly; 09-01-2009, 04:27 AM.

Carol,

It sounds like you may be altering 6.1's ContinuumClient.ini? Or perhaps launching with QFAI (which, depending on settings, can alter the .ini). Please confirm one way or another.

By design, this .ini file should longer be touched as it points to servers that are specialized for QCharts 6.1. In addition, the legacy Continuum servers will be going away in 60 days.

Attached is the default cc.ini in case you need to fix your local copy.
    Attached Files
    Regards,
    Jay F.
    Product Manager

Comment

Hi Jay,

Will QCharts automatically update cc.ini even if it says "AutoUpdateServerList=false"? Also, now that QFAI is not recommended anymore, can we be certain that the servers we are looking at for the non-tick info will be maintained and accurate? Is there somewhere that we can go to get the latest, greatest, most complete cc.ini file in the future when it doesn't get updated correctly? I am assuming that the MktHours.ini and other supplemental files are being downloaded from servers identified in cc.ini... is this correct?

The reason I ask is: I have a friend who just signed up for QCharts last week. He downloaded the last production version from the public web page as well as the beta 1690. All day Friday and then most of Saturday we tried and tried to get the market hours correct (i.e. to start the day at 9:30 intraday instead of 9:00 for equities, indexes) and it just wasn't happening. Somehow QCharts was pointing to a server with bad data. Deleting MktHours.ini did not work either; QC kept replacing with the old, wrong mkthours.ini file. We must have rebooted 20 times (he has Vista so there were more problems than just 9:30 start time.) I ended up sending my continuumclient.ini and mkthours.ini files to him which seemed to correct the problem... but his experience didn't instill confidence. His computer is a brand new Compaq dual core laptop with plenty of ram purchased just six hours prior to installing QCharts which was the only app installed after Vista setup. It was as clean a machine as you would see (except for the normal crapware they "give away" with new pc's these days.)

Any clarification or correcting my assumptions are much appreciated. I just started running 1690 this morning and it is working well for me after a total wipe of all my previous QC versions, including registry cleaning!

Comment

Tom,
        Is your friend on Vista?
        Did he do this to each version after he installed?
        http://kb.esignalcentral.com/article...icle=3742&p=25

Comment

Hey Bill,

The first time he installed it he just clicked the installation exe and went from there as anyone would do with a new installation on any OS. We spend considerable time on qcsoftwarehelp.com after that to get the Vista stuff somewhat cleared up but market hours continued to be a problem until we manually dropped in the new ini's I mentioned below.

I wouldn't rule out this getting fixed as just coincident to copying the ini files as well since we were doing so much uninstalling, rebooting, reinstalling, freezing, task managing, etc... and not keeping great notes in the process. (Didn't expect to have to do anything special at first; I thought this release solved the Vista mess.)

I think he is up and running fine now, all due to your instructions but I would hope those tweaks will be resolved before the release Jay mentions we are weeks away from.

Comment

Originally posted by JayF
            Carol,

It sounds like you may be altering 6.1's ContinuumClient.ini? Or perhaps launching with QFAI (which, depending on settings, can alter the .ini). Please confirm one way or another.

By design, this .ini file should longer be touched as it points to servers that are specialized for QCharts 6.1. In addition, the legacy Continuum servers will be going away in 60 days.

Attached is the default cc.ini in case you need to fix your local copy.
            Jay,
            I am launching 6.1 direct from the Desktop Icon - got rid of QFAI a week or so ago and did a complete scrub of the system and reinstalled x1690 as well. Additionally, this is a new hard drive that has not run the many prior alpha/beta versions of QC.

I have not made any alterations to CC.ini (or any files). Attached is a comparison of the CC.ini that's currently in my QCharts 6.1 folder as well as what you just sent. Looks like they are the same to me.

fyi,
            Carol
            Attached Files

Comment

There's only plans for 4 cc servers after October 31st, and those servers will only serve up Breathalyzer data. They will certainly be maintained in the same manner that previous Continuum servers were maintained.

Bill's on the right track with sniffing down your friend's issue. That symptom is typical of a Vista PC not set to Admin and XP-compatibility mode.

Regarding how .ini's work now in 6.1, they are a bit different. The cc.ini file will be found on each Continuum server just as before, so if you delete your .ini file, QCharts will load it's default of Continuum1 through Continuum6, which will be pointed via DNS to the 4 servers. Upon a connection to those servers, the new cc.ini will load into memory. When QCharts is shutdown a new cc.ini will be saved containing those 4 servers, and the AutoUpdate line will be set to true.

Further, the other .ini's will mostly be sourced by .tab files from the eSignal network. The file delivery system is slightly different in that the files come from the Data Manager, and are delivered mid-session (versus at the start of the session). Then QCharts will copy the .tab file in the /Sigtext folder to the appropriate .ini equivalent file. MktHours.tab will be maintained in the same way the .inf was previously, while Corpacts.tab will be sourced from an automated corporate actions feed from the Pricing and Reference Data arm of Interactive Data Corp., a sister company of ours.
              Regards,
              Jay F.
              Product Manager

Comment

Hi Jay,

Thanks for the explanations. It clears up some questions I have pondered for some time over the fate of the old servers and how non-tick data would get resolved (market hours, splits, etc). Also, I didn't mean to imply that eSignal would not maintain the files or servers accurately... only that the automated validating, downloading and parsing of the files might go awry and not get caught if that makes sense.

1690 is working well for me this morning. Thanks for the new line edit features also!

All the best,
                Tom

Comment

Working...
                X