Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Money Flow" indicator construction

Hi -

I want to use GET to chart the classic Chaikin Money Flow (CMF) indicator. GET has an indicator called "Money Flow", but the way it is presented on the screen makes me think it's not the CMF indicator, and the help screen is not helpful in determining if in fact this is true. The difference between true CMF and GET's "Money Flow" is in part that "Money Flow" is centered around the "50" mark, whereas CMF is always centered around zero. Can someone knowledgeable tell me what the methodology behind GET's "Money Flow" is so that I can determine whether it is different from CMF and make the proper mental adjustment when reading "Money Flow" in GET? As a side note, it would really help users of GET if there were better formulaic descriptions of the various indicators/studies in the help screens. Just a thought.

For reference, the formula for CMF is typically computed for one day by the following calculation:
    [(Close-Low)-(High-Close)/(High-Low)]*Volume.
    That value is then calculated for 21 consecutive days, the sum of each day's value being added together, and then divided by the total volume for that 21-day period.
    Fritz

Fritz
    For a description and the logic behind the Money Flow Index (which is not the same as the Chaikin Money Flow) click here and select Introduction to Money Flow Index
    Alex

Comment

As Alexis has described our Money Flow is different than the Chaikin Money Flow and the link he has provided goes into the details of how ours is constructed.

I think it is a good idea and I will pass along a suggestion to our writers and suggest that they include the calculations to non-proprietary studies and indicators in future manual revisions and help files.
      Ron Wheeler
      eSignal Learning

Comment

Thanks

Thanks for your answers, guys. I think I know the answer to my follow-up question, but can you tell me whether or not GET includes the classic Chaiking Money Flow indicator?
        Fritz

Comment

Fritz
          To my knowledge the Chaikin Money Flow is not included in the studies available in AdvancedGET.
          If you would like to submit a suggestion send an email to [email protected]
          Alex

Comment

Working...
          X