Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scrolling chart right to left, alters seasonals

Hi,

I overlaid the seasonal study on ADM and noticed something I thought quite odd or perhaps buggy ...

As I scroll the chart from left to right (see attached ADM Seasonal 1 and ADM Seasonal 2), the seasonal plot grdaully slipped down, or transposed itself from sitting above the price action to below.

I would have thought that the seasonal overlay study should be constant (on a day by day basis), regardless of where the chart position is on a user's screen???

P.S. By the way, how do you attach 2 images into the 1 post, as I was unable to CTL click on both images to include them both.
    Attached Files
    Many thanks for your help ... John.

Scrolling chart - image 2

The second image (re seasonals study) ...
    Attached Files

Comment

AGET EOD Seasonal study question and "Trader's Outlook" illustration

Once the seasonal is generated it does not change unless you recreate a new seasonal with additional data. When you shift and move the seasonal, depending on which way you are shifting it changes the relationship. You allow for shifting when trying to pattern match current data to the historical seasonal composite. But you can also allow for interpretation by shifting the seasonal back and exposing the future relationship. When you do this you may wish to shift the data in an equal distance, in both price and time scaling, and it should not distort the relationship, or if it does it is because the relationship has changed and is not truly being equali in relationship. There is an element of subjectivity to seasonal applications, which is why I personally call it a secondary level indicator. It is not a tool I will base my trade idea on, but will us it if it supports the idea. One seasonal example I remember came from a "Trader's Outlook" LOW stock post. I had identified a Type 1 Buy setup and used the seasonal because it looked like a good indication of what could come. I was focusing on the Type 1 but the seasonal gave me a good visual indication what to watch for. Below are the posts in sequential order. If you use a seasonal and you shift the seasonal, try to keep the data shift equal in relationship. It is a visual thing mostly, but that is how I use the seasonal study.

Low seasonal post #1
      LOW post #2
      Lowes seasonal post #3
      Lowes seasonal post #4, click here
      Lowe's seasonal post #5, click here
      Marc

Comment

Thanks Marc,

I've gone through your post a couple of times and have looked at the attachments as well, thank you.

1) However, I'm not still sure why the seasonal 'floats' over my chart. I'm not intentionally trying to move the seasonal - all I'm trying to do is move the whole chart left or right to make different months etc show on the screen. I would have expected the seasonal to 'stick' in place on top of the chart and move concurrently with the underlying chart - ie. if I move the chart left or right, the seasonal should surely move precisely along with the chart ... instead it loses its correlation with the chart. Why does this happen when I simply hold down the left or right arrow keys to move the displayed chart left or right?

2) Perhaps I don't fully understand a seasonal - isn't it a record of the average price movement for exactly the same time period in a previous year/s?

3) In your final link #5, I note an ellipse showing down at point C (beginning of the next wave 1). I thought ellipses were to show pivot points for the continuation of trend, however in this instance it seems to be showing the complete reversal point??? What points would you have drawn this ellipse from (the prior A and B)?

4) How do I attach more than 1 image to a post?

Comment

Working...
        X