Global Server Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Global Server Problems

I run esig and global server on win2000Pro. I have plenty of memory and a 466 Celeron processor. I connect with a cable modem, top download speed is 1500kb. I use Esig 7.2.

Last summer, shortly after upgrading, I noticed that if I opened esig during high volume times of the day, it would knock my global server offline. The error message was that the "buffers were overloaded".

Any ideas about how to stablize this? Has anyone else seen this problem?

I have reloaded GS serveral times to no avail.

Exact Message

"Unable to buffer incoming data. Input buffer overload" is the exact message.

Comment

Am I the only one who has seen this?

Please help if you can.

Comment

I've sent you one suggestion to try via a PM. The instructions show you how to change a setting for eSignal ( in an ini file ) so that the eSignal DM no longer maintains it's own database, thereby giving the Global Server more CPU time.

Globalserver is the only application that ever needed this setting but it does come at a cost, as you'll start to see problems in the eSignal application itself if you use both apps.

If the setting change does help, it'll hopefully help you determine where to look next for a permanent fix.

Thanks.

Comment

similar problem, and need help !

Scott or eSignal pro,

I have similar problem as Compradun's---"Unable to buffer incoming data. Input bufer overflows" in GlobalSever. Could you please send me an instruction to deal with it?

Machine profile:

software:
          Windows2000 Professional (sp3) ; eSignal 7.4 Beta(build595), TS2000i(build822)

hardware:
          dual Xeon(2.4G) CPUs, 2 SCSI drives (72G) and 1G RAM, T1 connection.

Thanks a lot!

Comment

Sure thing but I'd prefer to send them via PM as it involves altering a file and requires caution

Let me ask one question first as something may have changed recently. When did you start using eSignal and TS2000i together and when did you first notice this error message?

Thanks.

Comment

Hi Pier11,

You should have a PM with the instructions. I wanted to publicly thank you for searching these forums and finding this thread.

When we introduced the eSignal Central Forums, aside from creating dialogue among traders, we were excited about the potential of building an archive of problems and solutions that users could search and learn from.

It's great to see it working!

Thanks.

Comment

It works!

Thanks, it works well.
                One side effect I noticed so far is the quote window shows quote only when the symbol's quote is updating, otherwise it's blank.

I also changed some setting of GS , I think that helps too. Now I can scan more than 400 symbols tick by tick.

One more thing to mention: Don't change GS's Symbol Portfolio when it's connected. It seems that it have to reorgnize the space distribution or recalculating bounch of things, this really cost system resources.

Comment

Glad it worked. We are aware of that side effect and in fact, most inquiries on this topic come from the reverse direction where people are seeing those blank lines and wondering what's wrong. The settings to turn off eSignal's databasing routines are what allows Global Server to get more CPU time but that does cause issues in eSignal.

Here's that FAQ on the subject.

Thanks for the other tips.

Comment

Working...
                  X