$SPX daily open data from 9:29

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• $SPX daily open data from 9:29

The daily chart of $SPX appears to be taking the Open from before 9:30 ET very often. A good example is on the big gap down day on 27Feb07. The screenshot below shows a single 9:29 data point which became the 1449.25 Open for the Daily chart that day, instead of the first print after 9:30 being the Open more than 5 points lower. This 9:29 data point is obscuring gaps at the Opens. I can understand why the daily Close of $SPX would come a few minutes after 16:00, but why would the Open come before 9:30? More than 90 of the last 116 Daily Opens have come from a pre-9:30 print. (Today's Open up gap was obscured before a Bad Tick Report corrected it).

Defining a 9:30-16:15 time template on an interval of 405 minutes will show "daily" bars and gaps, but then this "daily" chart only goes back 116 days. Would someone please explain the many 9:29 Opens for $SPX and, if they are errors, can the daily data be corrected at the server with the right Open so that more than 116 bars are available?
    Attached Files

When I used to follow the underlyings a lot more closely I remember every day that there was usually a markdown to account for dividends being paid out. That may be the case here. Check this data against Yahoo finance, which may reflect index adjustments due to dividends.

Comment

Thanks for the reply buhrmaster.

It explains why whenever there is a 9:29 print it is lower than the Close of the previous day. Yahoo shows a column for the Close and another for the Adjsuted Close, but in each case they are equal. The Standard and Poor's site explains:

"Corporate actions (such as stock splits, stock dividends, spinoffs and rights offerings) are applied after the close of trading on the day prior to the ex-date."

So this adjustment apparently is being disseminated right before 9:30 and is reported as the Open, so gaps on Open are often obscured on this index, since on average adjsutments are made 3 out of 4 trading days.

Comment

Working...
      X