Data Lags

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Data Lags

I am getting 30s data lags vs. IB today, and there is nothing on the status forum.

Anyone else?

They can't really blame it on volume today.

Originally posted by Lisa23
    I am getting 30s data lags vs. IB today, and there is nothing on the status forum.

Anyone else?

They can't really blame it on volume today.
    Yes, I am getting horrible delays as well. I called support yesterday, but it didn't help. It's not my computer or internet connection like they keep trying to blame it on.

Comment

Support is no help, the only time I got a straight answer was one fellow suggested I move back to the 8.0 version - they can send you a link. I have a 1.6Ghz processor, which they try to blame it on, but I use a pretty simplistic chart page. Plus, there is not much volume today at least based on pace.

A fellow I talked to after that who was in Tech support said they have a server issue (probably not enough/not big enough?) but that they now know what the problem is and it will be fixed within two weeks.

However, that was over two weeks ago.

Things seemed ok except at really extreme volume (which is normal) but then today extreme lags

Comment

There's quite a few pieces to the puzzle here and that's been quite a challenge in terms of troubleshooting. One of the last remaining network improvements is already in progress and should be completed by Friday.

That being said, it is important to realize that the amount of data being sent to a typical user's desktop has grown exponentially over the last few years. We have resolved problems on individual PC's through a countless combination of solutions so if you are seeing delays that extend more than a few seconds, there's likely more going on then just a delay from one of our servers.

Here's an extensive KB Article we use to help identify all the possible areas that can cause freezing or delays. Please take a look.

If people are able to beta test 10.1, that version has also been optimized (with more to come in 10.2) and worth testing.

Thanks for hanging in there with us. We should have the network side of these issues resolved very shortly.

Comment

Since I was having performance problems with eSignal, I did some speed tests using the tools on dslreports.com and found that my performance wasn't as good as it used to be and in fact was a pretty slow at about 4m down and .6m up.

I called comcast (my provider) and in talking with them they suggested upgrading my old cable modem (it was the old 3COM shark fin that had worked fine for years). As it ends up they had stopped support on that modem a while back, so there were no updates being sent to my modem. I was unconvinced that this would help, but bought a new one anyone. It arrived yesterday and I installed it today.

It over doubled my speed according to dslreports (now 9m down and 1.5m up).

The question then became, what effect would it have on eSignal. Consider this preliminary since I haven't had a change to test during market hours (I did the upgrade just after market close), but it is clear that charts are loading faster.

In fact, my range charts no longer hang my system. Now they don't load exactly quickly, but they would regularly hang my system. I killed and restarted eSignal a few time to test against a number of servers ( using netstat to verify which IP's I was connecting to ).

I'm not saying others are seeing problems with eSignal for the same reasons, but if you do have an older modem, it may pay to run tests on dslreports.com and also check with your provider on possible support issues.

I'll send an update after market close to report on improvements seen (if any) during market hours.

Regards,

Garth
          Garth

Comment

Hi - thanks for the info. I checked, and am usually around 4 -5Mb download speed, although some came in at 3. I did have two tests, one to Fortworth and one to LA that were at 13Mb but who knows how that happened.

My router and modem are not that old. Hopefully that is not the issue, but maybe the internet is just getting too crowded already.

Comment

Hi - thanks for the info. I checked, and am usually around 4 -5Mb download speed, although some came in at 3. I did have two tests, one to Fortworth and one to LA that were at 13Mb but who knows how that happened.

My router and modem are not that old. Hopefully that is not the issue, but maybe the internet is just getting too crowded already.

Comment

Just a follow up on my post about the new cable modem. Both Friday and Monday had no delays, and I could even load tick/range charts (well I only tried loading one) with no hangs.

In doing more testing with netstat and tracert I could see that I had fewer hops and less delays. I'm not sure why the routing would change based on having a new modem, so there may have been some sort of changes that comcast made that fixed some issues...

Garth
                Garth

Comment

Working...
                X