Dax Futures Daily Wrong Spike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dax Futures Daily Wrong Spike

I would like to bring to anybody's attention who trades the DJ Eurostoxx 50 contract a problem with the close and settlement price given by the Eurex and subsequently eSignal.

eSignal uses the settlement price from the Eurex instead of the actual closing price. This can introduce large errors not only in the chart display but also in all indicators which use the closing price in their formulas. For example, on 1 April the actual closing price for ET M8-DT was 3722 but the settlement price given was 3674 for an error of 48 ticks! The open price the next day was 3722 so obviously the settlement price was not accurate of the market. On 3 April the closing price was 3716 and settlement was given as 3697 for an error of 19 ticks. Market next day opened at 3714 so again the settlement price was inaccurate. If you trade using pivot points these will all be incorrect. Think about what this also does to other indicators e.g. MAs, RSI, Stochastics, etc.

The Eurex extended their trading hours for this contract to 22:00 CET (market hours are now 08:00 - 22:00 CET). However the reference point time used by Eurex for determining the settlement price is still 17:30 CET. This is 4.5 hours BEFORE the market actually closes. Any sort of a trending market day can see prices far removed from the 17:30 CET price as was seen on 1 April.

Since the Eurex itself is actually providing a rather dubious settlement price I would like to recommend that eSignal, as a service to their customers, firstly make their customers aware of this fact. Secondly, I would like to suggest that eSignal change the price used for the closing of this contract to actual closing price at 22:00CET as opposed to the often-times inaccurate settlement price based at 17:30 CET. At the very least I would like to suggest that eSignal provide the customer with the means to choose which price they would like to use, close or settlement.

Many thanks for the help.

Daily Dax Futures Wrong Spike on Tick/volume charts

Hello

I use Dax futures data and every day arround 18:45/48 GMT time there is a down spike that ruins the charts.

Note: this spike only comes from Esignal servers, as i have other 2 backup data feeds and none shows this. (IB, Tenfore)

Can anyone explain me why this happens, and if there is a way to fix this plz.

Best Regards
    Gil
    Last edited by garaujo; 04-13-2008, 08:15 AM.

Comment

DAX/ Eurex data

The markets have been closing down of late. The Eurex uses a reference time period of around 17:30 CET to determine its settlement price even though the market continues to trade very actively for another 4.5 hours. eSignal insists on using the settlement price for the closing price instead of the actual closing price. When the markets are trending this can cause a large difference to appear in your price charts and indicators. I've posted a comment about this in the forum previously as well for reference. I have also sent several emails to eSignal to ask them to to switch to using the actual close instead of the settlement, or to at least give the trader the ability to choose which price to use. Please send an email to [email protected] to voice your concerns as well. The more who complain about this practice the more likely eSignal will be to correct it. Thanks.

Comment

The request to give user's the ability to preference that bars are built based on "closing" value vs "settlements" is already on our product enhancement list. I've pinged the Product Manager to see if we have an ETA we can pass along. We'll post again when we hear back.

Thanks.

Comment

The best thing that eSignal can do is to give us the choice between the actual closing price and the settlement price. Give the trader the freedom to choose whats best for his trading strategy.

This subject is really annoying, I hope they'll add this option soon.
          Last edited by ser-E; 04-15-2008, 04:00 AM.

Comment

Absolutely. The other thing that is really annoying is that eSignal also does not provide Level 2/market depth data for any of the Eurex products. Considering the huge amount of volume traded on the Eurex exchange (DJ Eurostoxx 50 actually tops the e-mini S&P500) that's a pretty poor showing. A bit of research via the net and forums revealed that eSignal customers have been asking for it for over 4 years! Tradestation, by the way, does provide the data. Please e-mail your concerns to [email protected] The more people to speak up about eSignal's neglect of European traders the more likely things will improve.

Comment

EUREX Settlement/Close

Hello,

We have added a new feature in eSignal 10.5 that will allow you to choose between the Exchange Settlement or Last Traded price for the Daily Close. You can right click in the Advanced Chart and click Properties in the menu. In the Properties menu uncheck 'Use settlement for daily charts' to display the last traded price as the Close instead.

Comment

Working...
              X