Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

eSignal Stuff, Please Let Us Choose Between The Close Or The Settlement Price.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• eSignal Stuff, Please Let Us Choose Between The Close Or The Settlement Price.

Hello,

For those who didn't notice, On Eurex & Euronext products the daily closing price and the intraday closing price is totally different.

When you look at the daily chart it shows you settlement price as the close price.

Now, I understand that this is the information that comes from the exchange, But, First of all, If it's the settlement price, So the software should write "settlement" instead of "close".

+ When you programming an EFS: "var vClose = xClose.getValue(-1);" It takes the settlement price, Not the close.

The exchange do provide the close price as you can see on the image I attached to this message.

I'm not the only one that complaning about this, I know bunch of users that very angry about it because we're asking eSignal to solve this again and again but no results.

So please, Let us choose Between the close/settlement.

Kind Regards,

ser-E
    Attached Files
    Last edited by ser-E; 07-12-2008, 06:39 AM.

Re: eSignal Stuff, Please Let Us Choose Between The Close Or The Settlement Price.

ser-E
    If [as I am assuming from previous posts of yours] the issue you are referring to is affecting your calculations of the Pivots then in the mean time you may want to see this thread which provides some suggestions on available solutions
    Alex

Originally posted by ser-E
    Hello,

For those who didn't notice, On Eurex & Euronext products the daily closing price and the intraday closing price is totally different.

When you look at the daily chart it shows you settlement price as the close price.

Now, I understand that this is the information that comes from the exchange, But, First of all, If it's the settlement price, So the software should write "settlement" instead of "close".

+ When you programming an EFS: "var vClose = xClose.getValue(-1);" It takes the settlement price, Not the close.

The exchange do provide the close price as you can see on the image I attached to this message.

I'm not the only one that complaning about this, I know bunch of users that very angry about it because we're asking eSignal to solve this again and again but no results.

So please, Let us choose Between the close/settlement.

Kind Regards,

ser-E

Comment

Alexis, Thank you for your post.

I had an EFS solution that I made but it cause me problems sometimes.

Now I found something better (I hope) to plot the prev close and it looks like it's working fine.

Anyway, The daily charts is still a problem as well as the monthly/weekly pivots.
      If eSignal will fix the charts everything will be easier. I don't see why we need the settlement price, And if someone want it - he can get it via the exchange website. The MINI S&P for example have it's settlement price also, But the daily charts is not using it as the close.

Kind Regards,

ser-E

Comment

ser-E

I don't see why we need the settlement price,
        FYI that is what the exchanges [at least the ones in the US that I know of] actually use for their daily values.
        As an example see the following screenshots for ES, YM and CL captured from the CME, CBOT and NYMEX sites. In all cases you will see that the reference is the Settlement ie the same price shown by eSignal on its daily charts and not the last trade of the day. FWIW the same applies to the NYSE, NASDAQ, CBOE, etc. It is also important to consider that the Settlement is the price used when marking to market a contract and for setting daily limits.
        In the following screenshot of the e-mini S&P taken from the CME's site notice that the current Last value is 1213.75 and the net Change is -14.50. If you do the math you will see that the previous value the CME is referencing is 1228.25 (ie 1213.75+ 14.50) which is in fact the Settlement and is the price used by eSignal on its daily chart. If you look at an intraday chart ending at 15:15 CT you will see that the last traded price was instead 1228.50

In the next screenshot for YM taken from the CBOT's site you can see that the current Last is 10896 and the net Change for the day is -139. Do the math and you will find out that the previous price being referenced is 11035 (ie 10896+139) which again is the Settlement and not the last traded price which was 11033. Again eSignal correctly shows the Settlement on its daily chart.

The next screenshot is a table of the CL contracts from NYMEX' site. Again do the math for any one contract and you will see that the values being referenced are the Settlement and not the last traded price of the day

The MINI S&P for example have it's settlement price also, But the daily charts is not using it as the close.
        With all due respect your statement is incorrect. The e-mini S&P (as well as every other daily chart) uses the Settlement for the Close. You may not have noticed it in the case of the e-mini S&P because the procedure the CME uses to determine the Daily settlement (if I remember correctly it is the weighted average price of the last 30 seconds of trading with the exception of the last day of the month when it is calculated differently) is such that the Settlement is usually very close to the last trade of the day (within a half point or so of it).
        Alex

Edit after post: I just checked also Euronext's site and as far as I can see they too appear to be using the Settlement as the reference price as you can see in the following images.

Alexis, Thank you for your post.

I had an EFS solution that I made but it cause me problems sometimes.

Now I found something better (I hope) to plot the prev close and it looks like it's working fine.

Anyway, The daily charts is still a problem as well as the monthly/weekly pivots.
        If eSignal will fix the charts everything will be easier. I don't see why we need the settlement price, And if someone want it - he can get it via the exchange website. The MINI S&P for example have it's settlement price also, But the daily charts is not using it as the close.

Kind Regards,

ser-E

Comment

Alexis, Thank you for your time. I didn't notice that the e-minis are the same... I'm a little shocked. Weird that I have years of experience on the minis and I didn't notice.

Kind Regards,

ser-E

Comment

ser-E
            You are welcome
            Alex

Alexis, Thank you for your time. I didn't notice that the e-minis are the same... I'm a little shocked. Weird that I have years of experience on the minis and I didn't notice.

Kind Regards,

ser-E

Comment

Working...
            X