repeated missing data for one or several servers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rambo,

thank you very much for letting us know and apologies for the repeated inconvenience this was causing you.

It is correct that only a few server were affected; those have been taken offline for further investigation by our engineers and you should now be connected to a good server who carries all data.

Moving forward, I agree with you that we should be able to check those servers on a regular basis throughout the day and act proactively before we receive any alarms.

With the information you provided so far and the continious observation from our end, we should hopefully be able to find the cause and the fix of the problem soon as well.

thank you again for all your help so far. If you do require any further information, please don't hesitate to contact us at any time.

Kind Regards,
    Christine B.
    eSignal

Comment

Thank you

Christine:
      Thank you for staying with the issue and helping to resolve the problem.

Best regards,
      Rambo

Comment

Christine, this sounds like the same kind of server-dependent data problem I noted here.

It really is disheartening that these faults get reported yet they don't get fixed. I mean data is what we pay you to deliver, right?

Do you have a plan in place to increase your monitoring to such an extent that server-specific data gaps will be automatcally detected and fixed before we notice? When is is due to be completed?

Dave

Comment

Dave,

thank you for your response.

Although this issue is server related as well, I have to inform you that these problems are not related because the data for US Stocks and Indices is stored on a different server as any data for Non-US Stocks and indices.

However, we will continue to keep an eye on the servers and in order to act immediately if any problems occur.

Kind Regards,
          Christine B.
          eSignal

Comment

Christine, Hi, Different servers, same problem? Sounds like systematic error. It really would be nice if there was a sufficient automatic monitoring system, not just someone "keep[ing] an eye on the servers". I had been told there is a plan to improve this, are you saying there isn't?

Dave

Comment

There are always perpetual efforts being made to improve our alarm monitoring and database management. One process that is still in development is for a utility to compare d/b sizes across each tick server so alarms trigger if a given d/b may have a gap.

Thanks.

Comment

the problem remains

Christine:
                It appears that there are still problem servers operating. The gap for $topix-tse on Dec 8
                between 13:01 to 13:40, exchange time, shows up again today. Attached is the data sheet.

Regards,
                Rambo
                Attached Files

Comment

Rambo,

I have just forwarded this information to our engineers to investigate and resolve the issue as soon as possible.

Thank you for reporting the problem and for your patience in this matter.

Kind Regards,
                  Christine B.
                  eSignal

Comment

today's gap

Christine:

A gap in $topix-tse historical data between 13:01 to 15:01 on Nov 10 appeared today.

Attached is the data sheet for 60 minute interval advanced chart.

Thank you for your continued attention.

Best Regards,
                    Rambo
                    Attached Files

Comment

Rambo,

I looked up your connection and was not able to replicate the issue on the server you were connected to.
                      When you next experience any problems, please change the timezone setting from 'exchange timezone' to 'local timezone' and see whether that makes any difference.

Furthermoer, please note that we're having two different issues here:

1; the last two trading hours are not being saved within the application although the data is available on the server.

2; the data is missing on the server

In the last example, it looks like it is an application error because I can't replicate the issue on my pc while I am connected to the same server as you were earlier.

The issue has been brought forward to Product Management. Unfortunately we have no ETA at the moment as of when the issue is going to be resolved.

Kind Regards,
                      Christine B.
                      eSignal

Comment

data gap for Dec 5 -confirmed

Christine:

A gap for $topix-tse on Dec 5 from 9:01 to 9:20 appeared today. The gap was confirmed
                        by you Australia help desk. The data sheet is attached. On a different server, I encountered
                        the data gap on Nov 10 again today. Let me know if you wish to see the data sheet.

I refer to your last message.

1. You did not see the gap because you were connected to a good server that I
                        eventually was able to connect to after logging in and out several times

2. We are using the same product. So if the problem is product related, you should
                        see the same gap that I see.

3. The problem of missing data caused by the product is specifically related to 15s
                        charts. It is independent of the data gaps appearing in minute charts. You should see
                        the 15s gaps in your product the same way that I see them in mine.

4. I would like to suggest that you check out the report submitted to your product
                        management on the missing 15s data problem in charts. It is caused by the
                        programmers mistakenly believing that the time stamps attached to the data come at
                        exact 15 second intervals. In reality, there is often a 1- or 2-second margin of
                        variation. It is an easy problem to fix once they know the specific cause. But they
                        would not know where to start if the report just mentioned a missing data problem
                        without the specifics. In this latter case, it is not difficult to tell that the ETA for a
                        solution is, never.

In all likelihood, the data gaps on the servers are caused by human factors, not by
                        software or servers. They are likely generated by operational irregularities and stay with
                        the servers because your unwillingness to assign a person to spend a few minutes
                        checking and correcting the gaps.

While it is by now clear that you are in no mood to do anything addressing the problem of
                        existing gaps on the servers, I still hope that going forward, your colleagues will be more
                        disciplined and responsible in following the right operational procedures so that no new
                        gaps will be created after December 12, the day you brought the good news that the
                        problem was resolved.

I cannot see how it can be in the interest of Esignal to let this easily correctable problem
                        destroy the value of the data provided. I would suggest that you or someone else go
                        directly to your top management with the problem if new gaps continue to emerge.

Best regards,
                        Rambo
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Rambo; 12-19-2008, 02:14 AM.

Comment

Rambo,

it seems there is some misunderstandings here.

I see you are sometimes still connected to eSignal when I get in the office in the mornings, would it be possible to give you a call after the holidays to explain the issue to you?
                          Please send me a PM with your phone number and let me know when it would be convenient to call.

In the meantime, if you experience any problems, please report it to our Support department so they can look into the issue.

Kind Regards,
                          Christine B.
                          eSignal

Comment

Working...
                          X